Life 5 months after Tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 5 months post Tkr.i still have a stiff band around my knee which hurts & wakes me up at night. I take ibuprofen.

Does anyone else have this.? I just want to be pain free & go about my daily  busy daily life normally.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

17 weeks post op, I still have this tight vice like band going on with knee and it feels dry and gritty in the joint. I did have scar tissue and needed manipulation at 10 weeks, so maybe remnants remain.

?I don't know the answer as exercise, massage etc do not seem to help much. Physio says it can take time for some of us. I hope that is the answer!

• Posted

Knee got tight and sore and would not bend even with physio pushing. OS said scar tissue would have formed and had to be forced to break under anaesthetic to release the bend. Some of us just form scarring after injury and trauma faster than others - body tries to heal but then the adhesions cause problems..
  • Posted

Hi. I am 7 months post op on my first TKR AND 4 months post op on my second. My first knee has the feeling of the band which is very uncomfortable and I am aware of it all the time. I don't have that with my second knee and feel that in a few months time I I'll hardly be aware of it. Therefore I would also appreciate any views on this particular problem

• Posted

That "band" feeling can last 12-18 months...it decreases with time.  Most people feel it minimally around 12 months and it keeps decreasing from there.  Everyone's different, but that seems more or less typical. I'm 16+ months and I ain't got nuttin'.  Make sure you're starting your exercise program by now to regain all your lost leg strength that will support the knee in the future.

• Posted

I have a bit of tightness but at base of quads/just above knee. Not painful though. Stiffness common, I think scar tissue can cause pain but as far as I understand this can gradually improve with time, slowly stretching adjusting and adapting. I think as long as you have enough range of motion to do what you want, it is not an issue, however the pain must be annoying. It is still early days though... if you are worried see a professional...it seems that being woken up at night by pain is not good. Stiffness and General sleep disturbance seems common, but if pain wakes you and you are taking medication that seems a bit of a concern to my way of thinking.

• Posted

Eileen I'm almost 7 months post bilateral TKR and I still get the stiff band around both knees. It's not nearly as bad as it was in first few months but it's still there. I think very gradually it's going away. Everything seems to just take time! Darn it!!

• Posted

16+ months,...rarely feel anything...  Take a one year sleeping pill...you'll wake up just fine...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.