Life after a Pneumothorax

Posted , 41 users are following.

I am 35 yrs old and suffered a SP in May 2014 followed by a bullectomy and VATS pleurodesis in July 2014. I was walking to my front door when it happened, I thought I had suffered a heart attack, the pain was intense and my left side went numb and it was hard to breathe.  Having a SP and lung surgery has got to be the most painfull and heartbreaking thing I have ever had to go through, it took a week for my lung to re-inflate and I had to stay in hospital, the surgery was extremly painfull... its lung surgery!! I spent a week in a hospital ward full of cancer sufferers (I was the lucky one) and the mental scars you deal with when it happens are terrible, I thought I was going to breakdown as I coudn't understand why it happened....but..... it also has got to be one of best things that has ever happened to me, I stopped smoking straight away and have not touched a cigarette in the last 12 months, it made me realise what was important in life, 4 months after surgery my boyfriend and I went travelling for 2 months, we climbed the great wall of china and have done so many great things since it happened. It took quite a few months for the pain to subside (and the pain was horrific) and I still get the odd twinge and stabbing pain now and again.. I have accepted that I probably will for a very long time and I refuse to let it get me down, I ignore it and carry on. I changed my attitude about it and wouldnt let it beat me and having a positive outlook really helped me. When I went through the worst part I read so many horror stories on the internet, so I wanted to say this isnt one of those, yes it was absolutely horrendous but its turned out ok and I am sure there are many more people that have the same experience as me and for those that are struggling, I really feel your pain but try and be positive and make the most of what you have now.

8 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your positivey in this is so amazing! I also went through surgery and like you say it is so horrible! Wouldn't wish I upon anybody and what it does mentally to you an the strain on relaying on everybody else is so painful. I'm so happy to hear everything went well for you. I only wish I was one of those, although my surgery went well and I healed up nicely and started to get my life back. My other lung has now decided to collapse which only makes me sadden and think if the pain possibly going through it all again! Wouldn't wish this in anybody x
  • Posted

MissMichelle,

I stumbled upon your discussion thread and found that it was really what I needed to hear. I'm a 46 year old female with a history of rheumatoid arthritis, clotting disorder, pulmonary embolism, and now...pneumothorax. I went in for a open-lung biopsy on April 4th and have been back to the hospital twice (3 chest tubes in 3 weeks) with pneumothorax. I have spent a total of 15 days in be hospital over that 3-week period and I'm at a point of complete loss. I was realeased on Saturday with a Heimlich valve, but still so stoked that I'm home. I haven't seen a light at the end of the tunnel and I can't even begin to think positive. I go in for a follow up in the morning to see if my lung is inflating, but I'm scared to death they're going to admit me again.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my long-winded pity party, is that I'm blessed to have found your discussion and it gives me hope that there is a light, at the end and others have been there too. Not that I would wish this on my worst enemy, just makes me feel better that I'm not alone. Thank you for making me heel hopeful!

• Posted

helo texchick, i was in and out of hospital 4 times in one month, like you i was afraid every time i had a prob that i would be calling ambulance, iv now been home for 2 months  and not fealing great but getting better everyday, the doc has told me my lungs are wrecked through smokeing(i packed up 11 years ago} but it still got me, inow waiting to see  empherseymia  doc,  when i first came home i didnt think i would survive but im still here, there is light at the end of the tunnel my friend, just hang in there and whatever the outcome try and stay positive i am so pleased i have found this site even if i get no replys it helps to write down how you feal,
  • Posted

Thank you,Its so comfortable to see such positive post,I am 23 years old,I felt pain a bit when i occasinally breath in a very deep way,the pain spread soon into my back and then in front of my chest wall,I thought initially that just is normal breathing problem,maybe it is too tired,but unfortunately when i did a Chest X ray i found out i is really an issue to solve,Then i move to a hospital in local and then drained air from my chest for week,it didnt work and i moved into another hospital for VATS with pleurodesis that heals my collapsed 80% left lung,after surgery i had three tube in my body to drain out,and that hurts me every day and night,every of my action would cause me tremendous pain and misery even i still push the Morphine button,As a man,for the first time i begin to become so hysterical,how this could happen to me?I used to smoke heavily,never care about my health,I thought Youth is my property,but now i have recgonized what is trully important,Your own body and health beyond everything you used to value.

Now then i out of the hospital for weeks,i am trying to quit amoking,even this is so hard,I will try.And effortly put on my weight,to eat more,live a great life,taste every delicious food,do more execise makes me stronger to fight every disaster and everything could threaten me.

Harvey

• Posted

helo, i am now 6months since my operation bullectmy plurectmy, and im doing great, still some nerve pain, and get short of breath but thats the empherseyma, the dr had said because of my age(67) it maybe not so easy but im here and im ok
    • Posted

Thank you for ur encouragement,I think we will all be alright,Its all okay,we are recovered after all.Brian.
  • Posted

There need to be more posts of this nature than the negative ones, really helps (am 7 days post VATS Pleurodesis operation still with huge pain). Get well
  • Posted

Hello. I am 21 yrs old male. I had 3 pneumotoraxes on right lung and after that I had VATS done- mechanical abrasion of parietal pleura. That was done on 4th of May and I was released on May 13th. Recovery was going really fast and I was feeling better in aprox 3 weeks time. I regained my lungs capacity and was doing great. I walked long walks and returned back to normal life. Everything was going great until I did some flexing movement of my chest and abs 10 days ago. Since then, I am having shortness of breath and I am feeling really tired, even when I am resting. I went to ER where they did EKG and said it was OK. I went to cardiologist who also said everything is ok, he did EKG and ultrasound of my hearth. My blood results were good, expect O2 saturation, which was 93,6 % (it was done from capilarry blood). When I was in hospital, the saturation was 98,9 %. I went to pulmonologist, who said my breathing is fine. Xray was also done and radiologist said everything is OK. I am still feeling tired and out of breath. I feel pain on my right side where the lung is. Please help me. Is it possible that I did some damage on my wound that is stil healing and could that be the reason of my constant shortness of breath and tiredness?
    • Posted

maybe you over did it try and stay posative and be patient,  im no medical man but  iv had a few worring times but doc always says things are good  its early days for you  stay strong and have faith, i think we all worry we have done damage to the lung  most times it just all getting back to normal

brian

• Posted

Hi all. I had the first of 5 SP's when I was 37 years old. All occured on the right side of my chest and in total I've had surgery on three occasions. The first involved a blebectomy, the second a pleurectomy and the third pleurodesis. I remember the pain, fear and confusion following my first collapse. I fell to my hands and knees and couldn't breathe - I'd had an almost complete collapse. It probably took me around 18 months for it not to be the main focus of attention day in and day out and the anxiety of a reoccurence was the with me for some time. It's now been 10 years since my last collapse and even though I still get some of the stabbing pains described It's no longer been the first thing I think of when I wake up or the last thing when I go to bed. SP's are very common but to have gone through something like this and come out of the other side has made me a lot stronger.

• Posted

paul you have described just how I felt, as soon as I wake up I put my feet  on the carpet and take deap breaths just to make sure I can lol,thanks for your positive message .

keap well

brian

• Posted

Thank you Paul! 

I was 35 first time it happened to me. Now I had 5 and been to surgery twice, last time three weeks ago. So nice to hear your perspectiv. It is in my head now. I'm so afraid it will happen again. I know  time will help. But it is hard not to be scared when it hurts. Could you explain more about the different surgery you did? Did you change anything in your life to stay healthy? Best regards Jessica 

• Posted

Hi Jessica

The first surgery involved removing blebs (the lung blisters) and stapling the surface of the lung. Sounds awful doesn't it? The second time the pleura (the membrane at the top of the lung) was removed to cause inflammation so that the lung would stick to the upper cavity of the thorax. I think the theory is similar to when you graze your knee as a child and it sticks to your trousers! The third time involved pleurodesis where sterile talc is sprinled onto the top surface of the lung to cause a similar inflammed state as the pleurectomy. I have a theory on why it took so long to work properly........ Following surgery I was asked to do exercise and inflate the lungs as much as possible although this was difficult as I still had a chest drain and as you know those things hurt alot. I think by breathing in deeply following surgery it makes sense that the lung is more likely to adhere to the top of the chest cavity but its difficult because of the pain. That's my theory anyway.

After the first collapse I gave up smoking Jessica apart from that I havent really done anything else other than moderate exercise. It's easy (and natural) to be negative and worried especially after a few collapses but I'd say it can be rectified, it is very common and apart from a few stabbing pains here and there a full recovery occurs in almost everyone so good luck and keep in touch.

Paul.

• Posted

Hi Ante

I am no doctor but I have gone through the same as you and actually called an ambulance once because I was so sure I had had another Pneumothorax. Everything was okay and I felt a little foolish. It is very natural to feel anxious and worry but the likelihood is that all is okay. 

Stay well.

Paul

• Posted

Hi there

You have described the operations I've had exactly. Just stumbled across this thread in desperation to talk to others who 've been through the same thing. I really suffer when I get chest infections as my lung feels like it's collapsed again, feels like it's bubbling and clicking, and wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing. A real struggle to breathe too, but xrays always show it's fine. Anything that you've found that helps? Thank you for sharing!

• Posted

Hi Bellaroma

Yep. I remember that feeling very well. I still feel it on the odd occasion but more rarely now. I think the Difficulty in breathing is a bit psycho somatic. I called out an ambulance once as I was sure it had collapsed again. Felt a fool but relief when it hadn't. Trust me, time helps you move on. How long ago was your last collapse? Paul.

• Posted

Hi Bellaroma,

After suffering multiple spontaneous collapse of the lungs 2years ago and under going surgery for it i decided to give Yoga ago to help with my breathing and gaining strength to my lungs again as i felt i was never taking enough breaths and constantly felt short of them. Touch wood it has been the best thing i have ever done!! i feel like a complete new person and whenever i feel some sharpness in my chest or twinging i take some breaths learnt from yoga and believe it or not felt 100% afterwards. obviously everybody is different but i found this helped for me smile i started off with very very short breaths almost like a sniff haha and now can inhale deeply its amazing!! 

• Posted

Bellaroma and Paul,

Beginning in April 2014 my right lung spontaneously collapsed 5 times within two years. I had a few procedures done until finally two wedge resections on NYE 2015. Now what causes me exhaustion and very uncomfortable pain is all the scar tissue. I'm determined to run a mile under 10 minutes again but it has not been the same since my last surgery. I have a difficult time maintaining paced deep breaths while doing cardio. Somedays I can run a few miles and most days I can't. It is so frustrating. Yoga is great but I miss running and other cardio exercises. Also, my recovery time after exercising is ridiculous and long and exhausting. I'm going to try physical therapy and massages in hope to relieve and relax all the scar tissue. My lung is good. It's my chest wall and rest of surrounding area that restricts my breathing sometimes when aggravated, I need to modify my activities, and is what I'm now trying to improve or recover from. I knew this would take awhile until I was myself again but it's going on two years now.

Have either of you experienced anything similar? I'm only 33 and I expected to bounce back like always but I haven't. Is the road to recovery really this long and maybe longer? I'm grateful to be able to breathe and breathe on my own. I can deal with the pain. But will I ever get back into the physical condition I was in before my last major lung surgery and be able to run like I use to? 

• Posted

For me I have some days I feel great and some days i wish i was in the hospital. There have been times where i tried to max out on a rep or pushed myself at work and i can feel long lasting issues for a week or more.  The best way i can describe it for me is almost like if you work out a muscle really hard you become sore for some time and in my opioion its almost like the lungs get strained and causes extreme tiredness, shortness of breathe, excess yawning, some gurgling of the chest like popping nosies, increased heart rate, and defiantly some sleepless nights but it passes 
    • Posted

Good morning, bellaroma & paul30083

Thanks so much for your post.  I thought I was the only one having these strange sensations in my chest.  I recently had the vats pleurodesis surgery and had been released from the hospital 3-6-18.  I know I am still in the healing phase, but it is concerning that I too feel the "bubbling and clicking".  I told my husband that it feels as if by lung is disconnected and is bouncing around in my chest cavity.  There is no pain, but it is a strange sensation to feel a glugging movement closer to by back rather than in the front of my chest.  I'm hoping this is normal and will correct itself in time.  I'm thankful to hear that someone else experiences this "bubbling and clicking" sensation.  Thanks for calming my fears

• Posted

Hi Barbasol

You are certainly not alone although 10 years on I can tell you that things feel almost normal. As you say it takes time for things to settle down and I haven't felt the bubbling and clicking for a long time. It felt like a sponge full of water squeezing out the air! Don't forget that your body is slightly different and it takes a bit of time for things to feel normal again. Good luck with your recovery. Paul.

• Posted

This is how I feel 5 weeks post pleurodesis surgery after my left pneumothorax. I am always worrying about if my lung has collapsed again or is it nerve pain? it's very scary and I have already went to the E.R. to get an x-ray a week after 2 weeks after the surgery and everything looked good but Thank you! Seriously, ty for all of you coming on here and sharing your experiences with me and everyone else who has gone through this and needs advice/encouragement! Happy Health Everyone!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.