Life after a TIA

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well, here's my story.

16th January 2018, I had been having pins and needles in my right arm all day. I put this down to leaning on my desk and at work. Otherwise I felt fine.

Drove home, shaking my right hand to get the feeling back (must have been leaning on the car door in a funny way.....)

Made and ate dinner, still felt fine. Went to put my bowl away and dropped the spoon. For some reason I couldn't pick it up again. Dropped and broke the bowl. Went to throw the bowl away and felt "odd".  Wet to speak to my family and found I couldn't speak.

That was terrifying. I had everything I wanted to say in my head but my mouth/voice wouldn't work. Dad went into ex-policeman mode and phoned 999. The operator talked him through some simple checks that I realised were the FACT checks for a stroke.

Really scared now.

My right arm was tingly and floppy. The paramedics arrived and I couldn't feel them putting the cannula into my arm (numb is good sometimes!!).

Blue flashing lights and a rapid trip in an ambulance and I was in A&E. Hooked up to a load of machines and given strong aspirin. Admitted to the High Dependency unit. Following day I was told I had experienced a TIA. There was no evidence of a bleed in my brain (luckily).

After a week in hospital, they found my left carotid artery was 70% blocked. so the following week I was readmitted to hospital for a carotid endarectomy.

Woke up after the surgery with no pain. Again, numbness was my friend. The surgeon told me that when they opened the artery there was a large clot waiting to break off and get stuck somewhere. Luckily I got the operation in time to prevent this.

After a week they took the staples out and I felt a little more normal.

Now, 2 months after the "event" I am back at work. OK, I am working 50% from home as my energy levels are temperamental but I am getting back to normal. I am still scared this will happen again but as they have cleared the artery and put me on a pile of tablets (clopidogrel; Atorvastatin; aspirin; lansoprasole) it is unlikely to recur ( the rhs artery was clear).

The only thing I do have to be careful of is that with this amount of anti-platelet medication I bruise like a ripe peach. I look a bit like I am being beaten up. Quite embarrassing for my hubby but if this is the worst I have to face then I can handle it. I have a future to look forward to (thanks to the NHS).

L

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi LellyM I'm glad you are ok I know I am still scared and I ride a moped like you mine only lasted couple of minutes then I went to doctors and had four aspirins had to wait 7 days to go to see a stroke doctor he was nice and reassured me everything was normal still waiting on the brain scan thing I'm taking clopidgrel zentiva once a day and yes I to bruise easy I stayed in for a week due to being scared I smoke which don't help giving up now it's nice to know your not alone 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

well, I went to see my consultant and he decided I didn't need clopidogrel AND aspirin and has taken me off the aspirin. Rather glad. A few weeks ago I caught the corner of my eye. Nothing too bad just a little knock. But the following day I woke up with a huge black eye and a bright red eyeball. Took about a week to fade!

Now I am just on the Clopi I still bruise easily but it is much better.

Lelx

• Posted

Hi Lelly M glad your ok I've had my scan where they check the blood running through your arteries was told normal went to have my mri saw the machine and freaked out but made another appointment to get it over with got my consultant 28th June now for follow up know doubt like yourself I be taken off the clopidogrel . Yes I to have bruises but found when I cut myself I seemed to stop bleeding quickly apart from that I've had no issues at all. Glad your eye is better take care

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I am hoping they will redo my carotid ultrasound at my next clinic visit as it would be good to know the surgery was successful - I assume it was as I have had no more symptoms.

L

• Posted

Well, it is over a year since the TIA and I have had no further issues. Signed off from the stroke clinic. Still taking all the drugs but that is no hardship (unless I cut myself, then it gets messy!).

I do have one lasting impact - my energy levels have gone off a cliff. I used to perform on stage then drive a few hours home through the night. These days I can still perform but hubby has to drive me there and back as I am not safe! It is the strangest feeling. I can come off stage feeling fine, start helping to pack the gear away fine then I hit an energy brick wall and can barely put one foot in front of the other and have to sit down.

But being totally pragmatic, if that is all I have to complain about then life is wonderful!

This whole experience has given me a new outlook on life and I am determined to see the positive in everything.

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.