Life after a Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had a  TKR 5 months ago.  Of course I'm certainly much better all round.So much so I am going on holiday to Kefalonia next week !! I am a bit worried as Knee DOES give me jip if I'm not really careful & wakes me at night. The plan is to rest on the beach & swim in the sea,I will have to walk but am a tad worried I'll over do it. I don't want to spoil it for others. Am I doing the right thing .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes! Know what you mean. I am four months, same thing. Just bring a foldable stick so you can give that knee a bit of a rest sometimes, and an ice pack, and elevate it sometimes. Are you keeping up with the muscle strengthening exercises from time to time too? Easy to not bother i find, but i understand still important!
  • Posted

Monitor your walking.  How?

1. Get a pedometer (Fit B i t, Smart Watch, anything that can track your steps).

2. Go walking.

3. That night, check the knee.  Check the steps.

3a. Swollen?  Note the steps and back off, then increasing gradually.

3b. Not swollen? Go farther the next day.

4. Go back to step 3.

I did 8,200+ steps at 5 weeks...had a balloon for a knee.  Never that mistake again.  Got a pedometer and tracked my steps every day.  By 8 months, I was up to 11,000+ steps a day (5 miles) with no pain or swelling.

It's a  S  L  O  W  process.  Use some technology to get you through.  Most of these devices interact with your computer so you can get a visual representation of your progress.  Very helpful.

• Posted

Well I am 2 months out tomorrow from a post right partial knee replacement pain is still bad but this past week I notice swelling in lower leg and ankle had never had swelling there before! I am doing more walking but due to bad back and hips it is difficult. Put Ted hose back on and now elevator more with pillows was using the recliner daily to,stay ou of the bed! I see the doctor Thursday, I am disgusted and disappointed. Any suggestion for this leg?
  • Posted

Hi I had both knees done at the same time and had a holiday to St Lucia booked 12 weeks after..... Make sure you book assistance at the airport it is free of charge and look after you from when you check in, to getting you on board the bus or taxi to your hotel. As I couldnt walk far or stand in a que for security or immigration and they take yiu straight through. Im sure they will have a gym for  you to cycle and the pool will work wonders. I actually felt that it helped with my recovery. Have a lovely time and just enjoy...
  • Posted

Hello Eileen. All magnificent advice above.

I am at 15 months post op both knees and travel is a cinch now. Be careful, watch where you are walking, do what you can and rest if it's too painful later on. Those pesky quad and calf exercises are a MUST! Good therapy is travel. x

• Posted

Exercising in water will be fab! Just walking through water is excellent! Google some aqua therapy post knee replacement videos before😊 you go maybe?

• Posted

Hello Eileen, I was wondering the same thing. I had my RTKR done 4 months ago so far so good. I am going on vacation next month from July 6TH through July 24TH. I will do as everyone has reccommended. Take a cane with me and walk as much a step my knee will allow, ice it and elavate it.
  • Posted

Explain to the group that they will have to go at your pace as you won't be able to go at theirs. Be sure and plan on resting throughout the day. One thing you can take comfort knowing...

Salt water won't rust the prosthesis..

Enjoy the beach

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.