Life after bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a bunion removed on my left foot nearly 4 weeks ago. I have a sedentary job and went back to work 2 weeks after the surgery. I've been to see my consultant for the check up and had the bandages removed and I am in a heel weight baring ( and rather fetching may add)  sandal. I had pain you would have expected after the surgery but now I'm nearly 4 weeks in I'm getting a stabbing pain in the big toe and the swelling of the foot is unreal. I also cleaned the incision sites yesterday and covered them again but I noticed the incision is not fully healed, the skin on the big toe doesn't have a lot of feeling in it, and I have minimal feeling in my big toe and the second toe. I also noticed that a patch of skin on my big toe was slightly discoloured compared to the rest of the skin. I just don't know what is normal. I've read that other people's cuts are healed after 2 weeks and are bathing etc. I can't do this as I've been told that until the cuts are fully healed they are not to be made wet because of infection. I'm worried that the feeling isn't going to come back in my toes. I just want a little bit of reassurance as I feel a little on my own with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna everybody heals at a different pace. You have to give it time and recovery is gradual and not immediate. Feeling will gradually return in your toes. In the meantime you can consciously practice moving your toes with your mind if you see what I mean. Just telling the toes to move helps. John
  • Posted

I'm 5 months post op on my right and 2 weeks post op on my left foot. You have to take into account nerve damage around the incision that can take months to heal. I got my dressing changed after 2 weeks by my surgeon then it was re bandaged for another 4 weeks to heal fully....then and only then did I have access to it. I had numbness heat and pain all the way through. my foot still swells if im walking for too long but not much pain just the odd twinge. I'm expecting the same again with my left foot. Ice ice and Ice! At any chance you can. I used frozen peas. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.