Life after cateract sut

Posted , 8 users are following.

after 1 1/2 years of cataract surgery having ReStor lens put in (the doctors recommendation ) 2 yag surgeries, using baby shampoo mixed with water and using q-tip etc,etc. , im still seeing with glare and black shadows. not flying flies, not spider webs, i see good, read anything ,hem dark clothes etc. i changed doctors couple months ago. he told me they cant be redone etc. big risk etc. i am sorry i was influenced to get ReStor lens. have any of yal experienced this . this surgery cost us $6000.00. my friend had hers done couple months ago and spent about $2000.00 and she sees better than me! i am so sad!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry your experience hasn't met your expectations for the money you paid. Is the new doctor indicating these are due to the Restor lens itself or are there other things going on? Do you know if it is the 2.5 Restor lens that was implanted?

Unfortunately your new doctor is correct. After yag procedure is done it is not usually possible to have a lens exchange - also due to length of time. Usually lens exchanges can be done with 9 months.

Are able to see well during daytime at all distances or do you need glasses at all? Are the visual disturbances you ate experiencing at night or day or both? The black shadows are they like an arc or something you see at night or day?

Not sure why you are using baby shampoo - is this to clean your eyes?

If you could explain a little more about your situation we could weigh in with a few comments.

• Posted

thank each of yal for replying. i dont see 2.5 on card .cards read .. ACRYSofiQ ReStor multifocal IOL THEN ON BACK IT HAS 23.5 D +3.0 and 23.OD+3.0.. i dont have to wear glasses. i just still see with some glare and black shadows .i do drive a little during the day . sunglasses help . like i said i do all my house work . hem dark clothes etc. i see the new dr. again feb. 20 .. using the baby shampoo diluted with water isnt helping but will continue until i see him again. I like to do what i'm asked to do .wish i'd never heard of ReStor lens. first DR. must have made a bundle off these lens??wish first DR.!had told me i could exchange the lens ?? i'm sorry for any of ya'll having problems too! black shadows not like an arch.

• Posted

I had a ReZoom put in my eye 12 years ago and I've been dealing with similar issues. Also had YAG surgery and a vitrecomy in the same eye.

I'm seeing Dr. Safran in New Jersey for potentially exchanging my lens for a monofocal. I've heard he's one of the best in the country however I'm still nervous about the IOL exchange given the high risks. Dr. Safran said he could do mine with less than 2% chance of "something going wrong" but I'm still nervous about it

• Posted

gmag21 - many of us are under the understanding a lens exchange isn't possible after a YAG. Are you saying your surgeon can successfully do that with 2% of anything going wrong?

• Posted

I did my own research & found out about Dr. Steve Safran. He frequently posts surgical eye videos on YouTube showing his technique for exchanging IOL's after YAG. I sent him an email and he told me in most cases he can exchange the IOL after YAG with low risk but he'd need to see me first to confirm. I flew from Houston, TX up to New Jersey to see him & after our visit he told me my eye should be easy and 2% was my approximate risk factor. I wouldn't say 2% is his risk factor for everyone but this was the number he gave me for my unique eye situation...

From my understanding most regular eye doctors will say it's impossible or not recommended because they don't have the specialized skills or experience to be confident with exchange. A surgeon like Dr. Safran was attractive to me because he frequently does these types of exchanges (he said several times per week is not out of the ordinary for him). I'm obviously still on the fence about it since I've had many other local docs tell me not to do it but meeting with Dr. Safran has given me some hope.

• Posted

This is going to be very good news for some people here on the forums. Albeit not an easy decision to make. I suspect you'll never be 100% comfortable with going forward and only you can decide weighing that to any regrets you have for not doing it. Don't envy your decision but sending good thoughts your way and hoping it all works out.

Please do post here your decision and results if you go for the exchange. Many here will appreciate it.

• Posted

gmag21... please let us know how everything goes for you! you r in my prayers !

• Posted

First of all, Janice, I'm so sorry to read of your problems. I truly hope that something can be done for you.

For gmag, I think it's amazing that you found Dr. Safran. While it's never easy to undergo any procedure, just remember that any surgery is a risk and that if you have to go through it again, go for the best you can...and he sure sounds like he is exactly that. It's normal to be nervous, but it seems that you've done your homework. I wish you the very best.Please let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

what did you decide to do? i am scheduled for first lens exchange next wednesday and am terrifed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.