life after galbladder removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mother had this operations few years ago and since then she has been on medication. From the last few years she has this severe pain which stops her from living a normal life.

Please advise how to help her remove this pain.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What medication has she been on? Could it be sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  most people with gall stones develop this dysfunction even after gall surgery. I have been battling severe pains since after my surgery and the doctors think its SOD.
    • Posted

the doctor has mentioned nothing.......as per them the stomach is soft nd it is the regular pain which everyone gets after the surgery....she is living on pain killers......hot bag, which she keeps on her tummy nd back....several check ups have been done, but nothing found........can suggest any treatment.........
  • Posted

Sameer

How and why the doctor said this is a regular pain after the surgery? You said the surgery is done few years ago, so not pain should be there if the gallbladder is removed  completely and also if your mother followed the low fat diet.

Generally, before the surgery,  the surgeons claim that no side effect is imaginable in this surgery and just a few of them say the low fat diet is a must but all is lie and the side effect of gallbladder removal is a real story after Cholecystectomy

The best solution now is applying for a MRCP to see if there is any thing remain in abdomen while Cholecystectomy if you are sure your mother respect low fat diet or in real wording, no fat diet.

Always keep in mind that gallstones removal is the best solution if the gallbladder is ok.

• Posted

The doctor has mentioned that it is due to the surgery and some patients get such pains later.....my father has not been following a low fat diet, it is a mix......it is after having consulted few doctors that she is now (past three weeks) she is on a strict low fat diet; however, the pain still persists and she keeps having strong pain killers, whiich make her restless and she keeps sleeping throughout the day......

So you mean to say a low fat diet is the Only Help to get rid of this pain/

• Posted

I have suffered the same pain. it is like spasms. I asked my gastro-doctor about this. He said could be adhesions ( which I am apt to grow) or some fat on the liver. i go back in 3 weeks to him and will further discuss what can be done if anything. I will let you know.
  • Posted

Hi, I feel for your mum and know the frustration she must feel.  My GB was removed in January after years of misdiagnosis and a great mass in their.  I still get a similar pain but the attacks have been worse, excruciating stabbing in the URQ, been hospitalised four times since the surgery!  About three months ago I was told that they we're waiting for the sludge in the bile duct to form a stone and referred to the chronic pain clinic, the bike duct was dilated and LFT  were still out.  At the appointment two weeks ago I was told that the endoscopy had shown Gastritis, no one told me that!  He took me off Omeprazole, Tramadol, Naproxen and Amitriptyline and advised I buy Gaviacon!  Another attack on Saturday floored me again, hot baths and drugs finally calmed made it bearable. 

Today I visited the chronic pain clinic, the Consultant could not understand the drs, she examined me and is writing to tge GB consultant with her findings. Enlarged ducts and constantly one of the LFTs are out, she states their is a blockage and scans can't always show it. She's worried that masking the pain could leave to bigger problems, she prescribed Nortriptyline to help with pain at night, I'm fed up with having black eyes lol, so that's good. 

Anyway had a similar experience?

their seems to be so many people with post cholysysectomy problems, she advised to write a diary as this can be helpful to consultants!

• Posted

I was told my pain was probably adhesions or fat on the liver. I will be going back in 2 weeks and i wil be demanding further test to find if there are adhesions or something else going on. I never stop until something is found ot! I get tired of hearing about my dark circles too! thanks for your post. It helped me.
    • Posted

I'm not the only one with dark circles then, people think I have black eyes!  

I nearly didn't go to the Pain Clinic but after Saturday's attack thought i should.  I'm sorry your going through the same thing :-(. I find although I suppose to see the same consultant I see one of his Juniors and they all say different things!  They haven't mentioned fatty liver to me!  Let me know how you get on x

• Posted

A diary is a great idea. I am so sorry you are having such suffering.  I was afaid I was in for that as I have had several sessions of clenching pain like a gb attack but no vomiting.  I am feeling better eating small meals before I get very hungry.  Best of health to you.  I hope they can figure out what is making your liver so cranky! Did they suggest eating less meat? or drinking 4 oz of red wine each day? My new GI suggested that.
    • Posted

i agree with the red wine theory, before the removal it did help!

now it's not just the attacks it's the constant gnawing of pain, did you find out what caused  the pain? Xx

• Posted

I am not sure yet.  I have been eating very small amounts lately since I had the stomach flu.  The abdominal ultrasound did not show any problem but it was also blurry in some places and the radiologist suggested continued follow up with the Dr. who also told me to use daily prilosec to reduce stomach acid. This also reduces bile since the bile is there to neutralize the acid.  I wonder if the intestines get irritated from alkaline bile dribbling out on them all day with out the acid to cancel it out.  Hard to know =)  Also I am drinking more water through the day and taking a fiber that soaks up bile. So far the clenching burning pain and feeling sick after eating has been much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.