Life after gallbladder removal.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was first told I had gallstones last December. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long for it to be removed. This was carried four weeks ago today. I had a terrible first two weeks and could barely walk. The pain was really bad and I was vomiting continuously, even after drinking water. As soon as it hit the stomach it was coming back up. However after taking anti sickness tablets this settled down. I returned to work two weeks ago and things seemed to be ok apart from the occasional twinge around the area where the gallbladder had been. Yesterday however I suddenly got a really sharp stabbing pain just under my right breast area, quite close to where I had been cut. I am now constantly getting this stabbing pain and it doubles me over, and takes my breath away. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to bother my gp with anymore gallbladder related problems if I don't have to, although I must say he has been brilliant.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it is very early after surgery, only 4 weeks, you could of over done things and pulled the wounds inside!  Exterior wounds heal a lot faster than the internal ones!  If it is that painful i would really get it checked out though by a professional.  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I was hoping it was normal although I kind of realise it isn't! Guess I need to go back to my doctor! Thanks again. x

• Posted

4 weeks after a surgery is a long time to be getting stabbing pains. Maybe your diaphragm got irritated during the procedure or maybe it’s compounded by the fact that you took only two weeks of rest. Only a doc can confirm. You need to make sure that you are not bleeding internally.

My opinion, visit your surgeon soon.

Luis

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I was never given an appointment to visit my surgeon again but following your comment I will visit my doctor. I was hoping someone would say it's normal although I know it isn't because it started so suddenly. I have taken some Tramodole this morning which seems to be helping a bit. I was on these pain killers for weeks before my surgery and was hoping I wouldn't need them again. Thanks again. x

• Posted

Sorry to see you are in so much pain, Susan. You're not bothering your doctor, it's his job to look after your health, he gets paid handsomely for it. He should have told you that there is no guarantee that you will be pain free after removal. My doctor told me that removal 'may or may not sort out the problem'. It is basically up to me to decide whether or not to opt for surgery. If you get any problems from now on go back to your doctor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.