Life after heller myotomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys

I'm scheduled to get my heller myotomy operation in a couple of months however I have a number of questions about this operation.

1. I'm an active guy and take part in many sports, could this survey affect me taking part in these sports ?

2. If surgery isn't as effective, can you get the Botox etc. After surgery ?

3. Do the symptoms go away ? ( I know that achalasia is incurable)

4. What was your experience after surgery?

I appreciate the feedback, I'm just so misinformed about this condition and I'm in desperate need of answers.

Many thanks

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the responses, they have helped to reassure me and allowed me to see that their might be light at the end of the tunnel ! 😊

• Posted

Indeed. Just follow it carefully and learn all you can along the way.
  • Posted

Hi Matthew. I was offered all of the treatment options on the NHS. However my consultant was concerned that the other treatments can cause scarring and the potential effect this could have on any future surgical outcomes. I have no other health issues and like you am fit, active & healthy person who was had reached the point where i was struggling to eat liquid foods.  I recently underwent surgery (including anti reflux) and can now eat solid food. I was only in hospital one day. I still need to eat carefully and drink plenty of water to wash food down, but can eat. Some foods can cause dis-comfort, but have not resulted in chest pains, etc. I have suffered from acid following the op. Anti-acid meds help with this. After 8 weeks I have returned to horse riding. My doctor has said ok, but be carefully. Following surgery take your time & do not rush to resume to much activity all at once. Remember you still need to heal inside, which can take sometime. Too much exercise too soon can also trigger acid attacks and may effect your outcome, so it is better to listern to your doctor, heal & adjust first, before resuming your normal activies. Through reading & research reference what has helped other suffers I also on a daily basis drink Innocent coconut water and have 2 tablespoons of Manuka Honey NPA 15+. Coconut water is supposed to reduce stomach acid & research is currently being completed on Manuka Honey on it's ability to assist in combating MSRA & inflamation of the oesophagus. Both have helped me pre & post op. I know that surgery can be frightening, but the result is worth it.

I hope the above information is of use to you.

• Posted

I had the surgery in 2014 . I am able to eat still but after the surgery my acid reflux gets so bad I feel like I'm having a heart attack I'm in so much pain I have tried every medication and nothing helps. I have these chest pains at minimum 3 times a week that last hours at a time.

• Posted

i'm 18 y/o and i had heller manotomy surgery 23 days ago. As doctors said i will be able to everything gradually . So as i read all your complications and how you feel . i need to choose new eating pattern, *what kind i should avoid? i'm a food lover person and i'm even a sport guy who plays badminton *

1.will i be able to eat like normal?

****2.will i be able same amount or less?(this is you year 3 after surgery right?)

3. what kind of food which is difficult to eat?

i'm in very big confussion , please help me with his experience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.