Life after hellers cardio myotomy and partial fundoplication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have Achalisia and had the heelers op 3 years ago. the first year after to op everything was ok but the subsiquent years i've had either diarrhea or constipation, continusously. Ive had all the checks for bowel cancer etc which were all clear. My doc puts it down to IBS. I also have trapped wind when i eat and i feel like my heart skips a beat . Has anyone else had these symptoms after this op.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm taking the easy way out and having Botox in LES Monday. I know it want last but 6 to 8 months but I need the time before I have my Myotomy and Dor Fundoplication. My surgeon told me the Botox would not compromise my surgery as I've heard as an RN and also read. But wanted to make sure. If any of you have had Botox before I'd like to hear from you.

Stay Well,

DWJ

• Posted

Hi, Ive had the botox twice before i had my op. The first time i had botox the results were fantastic it was like i'd never had Achalasia it lasted about 2-3 months bfore it started to return. the second time i had it was not as successful. it improved but not to the extent the first treament did.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I had mine yesterday and for the first time in 15 years I was able to feel the cold apple juice in my stomach and not in the esophagus right after the procedure. And, I didn't aspirate last night by just sleeping on one pillow instead of sleeping sitting up. That was great. I will do the Botox for as long as it helps but know it will only be short term. Can I ask what surgery you had? They initially wanted to do a Dor/Anterior Fundoplication with a Heller Myotomy. I had to at least give the Botox a shot. How do you feel now? Was it a painful surgery or do you feel differently? Any regrets yet having the surgery? I'm just a bit afraid of the permanent anatomical changes that will be done. I'd really like to talk to you more if your schedule allows.

Thank You,

DJ

• Posted

Did you have a Fundoplication with your Myotomy? I think that Fundoplications can cause excessive bloating. Some aren't even able to belch and most cant vomit either. You may want to check into that as being possible causes. I just had Botox injected. Will use this temporary approach until it doesn't work any longer or they begin to compromise future surgeries down the road. I don't know how long I will continue to get relief from the Botox. I know it varies from person to person. Sometimes it will only last a few months then other cases it's been known to keep the LES pressure down enough up to two years and prevent one from aspirating. If anyone has any personal experience with Botox I'd like to hear about it.

Thank You

DJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.