Life after Radioiodine treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an overactive thyroid and had to have radioactive iodine treatment in 2012

I have been on 100mcg of levothyroxine ever since and have never felt right ever since

i still feel overactive its hard to put weight on and neverr felling right,  yet when i have blood tests they say i am in the right parameters.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Many patients feel as you do and feel better when they are on a combination of T3/T4 thyroid replacement hormones rather than just T4 (levothyroxine).  You can talk to your doctor about this.
    • Posted

i did ask my gp about T3 and he said they do not do T3 on  prescriptions
    • Posted

They do prescriptions for T3 in Canada.  The drug name is called Cytomel.  T3/T4 combinations are also available through compounding pharmacies and requires a prescription.  I was on Cytomel at one time.
    • Posted

will have to talk to my endocrinologist

Im in London UK hope the endocrinologist can help as the GP is useless

• Posted

Hi Kevan54868,

I think by my own experience that it is much better you treat your thyroid problem with an endocrinologist. In the beginning I had been treated by a GP doctor and it didn't work good. After an appointment with an endocrinologist everything got better. They know better about this decease than a GP doctor.

I live in USA and each country has theyr restrictions about medications. I hope you can have T3 replacement where you live.

I hope you get better soon.

• Posted

My GP is useless tells me to push though and get use to it
  • Posted

Hi Kevan

I had RAI in February and after a few weeks felt better. I am not taking any meds at the moment. My latest blood tests apparently show that I am still somewhat hyper but I feel OK. I see my endo at the end of next month. I did put a few pounds on initially after the treatment but then dropped again, I do feel well though. Good luck with getting your medication sorted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.