Life after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I'm new to the forum. I wanted to share my story and get some feedback from fellow sufferers rather than speak to my care team. OK....

I had two attacks of acute diverticulitis, one in 2013 and one in 2014, the latter being more serious. I was treated both times with IV antibiotics but decided that two hospital admissions was enough. Not knowing when the next attack was going to be was an awful feeling.

So I decided there and then to have elective surgery to remove my sigmoid section  of colon once I had recovered from the diverticulitis and in Jan 2015 I went in for the op. It was keyhole initially to cut and rejoin the colon, woke up from the op, a little sore but no stoma. Then whilst I was still in hospital some 48 hours after the op I deteriorated. The complication was the rejoin had come apart and I was passing waste into my body which gave me faecal peritonitis. The pain was unbeleivable. I had to have emergency surgery after a CT scan confirmed what had happened. It was at this point I had a laparotomy and a colostomy formed (Hartmann's Procedure). I spent then 2 weeks in hospital. That was in January.

Then in August 2015 I went in again to get the colostomy reversed (Hartmann's Reversal) which was to rejoin my colon. I was given an ileostomy to allow the anastomosis (join) to heal. The ileostomy right now isn't easy - even after 7 months training with the colostomy.

I've had the ileostomy for 7 months now & (hopefully) within 2 months time I will get the ileostomy reversed (which I have been told is a simple procedure - maybe 2 days in hospital if no complications) and then I should be able to function normally. Obviously a little unsteady at first. The purpose of the colon is to reabsorb water from waste so less colon less absorbtion. This should settle after several months but I'm sure I will be taking Loperamide tablets for a little bit.

That's my story, I've not aired this to anyone other than friends, family and colleagues before. It is a nightmare but hopefully for me there is light at the end of the tunnel (if nothing else goes wrong) and I appreciate for many people going through serious illness there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing this adds to my emotions, my heart goes out to all tnose suffering, both here and in hospitals nationwide.

So now I am looking at what is in store for me after I get the ileostomy closed. What can I expect? What was your experience. I don't want to be pessimistic but also don't want to be over optimistic. All I want is a good nights uninterrupted sleep and be able to enjoy my hobby of landscape photography and hill walking without sudden urges to go though I'm sure I'm going to have to "work with the condition" rather than return to comp,ete normality.

Thank you for lustening/reading my story.

Scott

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Scott, I had an emergent surgery last summer for perforated diverticulitis. I would up with an ileostomy and primary anastomosis. I had the ileostomy reversed two months later. It was very depressing living with that. But I am glad to tell you that I feel really great now. Just know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am not saying I don't need a bathroom a bit more urgently than I used to but it is manageable and best of all there is no more pain. For the reversal they did keep me in hospital 4 nights but getting rid of that bag was such a happy thing, I didn't care.

• Posted

Hi Kelly, glad to hear you're on the mend. I have had an ileostomy now for 8 months, something I am very unhappy about. I'm beginning to get a little angry to be honest at the colorectal department at the hospital. Why is it taking so long? They told me back in August that I will get it closed in 3-6 months time. That was 8 months ago! I had a pre op assessment 20 weeks ago so outside the 16 week limit and exceeding the maximum 18 week time span. It is depressing, I'm getting very despondant and just don't know who to talk to so I can shout at them.

All that to one side I have 2 fears. I am scared of the 1 in 250 chance that my closed ileostomy will leak, another serious complication, though they tell me this is unlikely. Secondly, going to the bathroom urgently. Does this mean I have to starve myself before I can go out? I so do not want to get caught short several times a day when I'm half through a country walk.

i don't know, I'm not coping very well.

• Posted

Scott, I'm guessing you are in uk or Canada? I am so sorry you are having to wait. I was counting the days. You have been through a lot. It is very depressing. It was the worst time of my life. Still I think back to it and it is very traumatic. I put my 12 year old through hell. She had to take care of me way too much. I still am not quite right psychologically from the whole thing. I almost died as did you. One day at a time Scott. Yes, it is VERY unlikely that the ileostomy reconnection will leak. If it does, it usually happens right away. 

In the first few weeks I did have to go urgently, usually in the middle of the night. Which was fine, close to the bathroom. For the first few weeks, I just kept in mind where the bathrooms were wherever I went. Now, it's not a problem. 

• Posted

I'm in the UK Kelly. Yes the emotional i pact has been huge. I'm scared I'm going to mess the bed or my new carpet, or having it run doen my legs when I'm out because I can't get to a loo quick enough. I start crying when I get distressed.

You say it's not a problem now, do you still need to go more than twice a day?

• Posted

Scott, I don't usually need to go more than twice a day now. I had 35 cm of sigmoid colon removed. I do have a pooch now  from ab muscles being slashed and some bad scarring but I feel really good. Zero pain. I am thankful. I know it is sooo depressing but I think you are going to be surprised how fast you heal after you get that thing reversedsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.