Life After Surgery for Diverticulosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

For those of you who have had surgery for diverticulosis, what is life like, moving forward? Are you able to go back to eating a regular diet? Can you eat soluble and insoluble fiber? What is the risk of developing new diverticula/diverticulitis? Thanks in advance for your posts. They have been very helpful to hear first hand experience!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had 13” removed in May 2018 as well as appendectomy and hernia repair. After 4 weeks, I was cleared to eat with no restrictions. She nice then, I have literally been eating anything and everything I want with no thought otherwise and have had ZERO digestive issues whatsoever! I’m amazed actually. Prior to surgery, I was EXTREMLY sensitive and was nearly on all liquids for almost a month! Life is good!!
  • Posted

I'm close to 10 weeks post surgery. I had an open sigmoid colectomy. I did have other complications caused by diverticulitis the surgeon didn't find until he opened me up, but all fixed. I was in the hospital for 6 days. Take it easy, stay on the soft diet for at least 6 weeks, even if your doctor tells you that you can eat anything you want. Remember, your outside heals faster than the inside. Slowly introduce "new" foods into your diet, IN MODERATION. Eat the amount of food about the size of your fist. I'm able to eat salads, small tender pieces of red meat (couldn't before). My next step is to try cauliflower, but very little. Need to see how my body reacts. When I left the hospital they gave me a waist binder. The 1st couple weeks I never took it off. You will be extremely swollen but don't worry it will go down. I went from an XXL to Medium at about 5 weeks post surgery. I wear the binder from morning until I go to bed. Realize you are not a superhero, the only exercise you should do is walk until you get clearance from your doctor. Walk after each meal, anytime as much as you're comfortable with. The doctor doesn't prescribe pain medications if they didn't think you'd need them, because you will be in pain. I have slowly dwindled mine down to 1 pill a day. Starting tomorrow I'm going to test it by no pain killers at all. Patience is your new mantra. Stay away from gassy, hard fruit and vegetables for a few weeks. Got to give your insides a lot more time to heal. Don't need to RIP out your inside stitches. For myself I am taking it 1 day at a time, watch what I eat. There is a 10% chance of it returning. It's up to you.

• Posted

Glenda, good to hear of your results and amazing recovery. I've been advised to have the surgery as well, and am scheduled to see a supposed renowned "best around" surgeon who specializes in colon resection via robotic/laparoscopic methods.

Needless to say, I am very frightened. The flareups have been coming on more frequent and longer intensity. One of the many things that scare me is the possible complications. Another is the length of recovery time. I've many questions.

Would you give some idea or suggestions as to what to ask him?

Anyone else who'd had the surgery - please, I'd be much obliged to read your suggestions too. And, most of all, I deeply covet your prayers, because ya'll know better than most about this disease and the life long problems associated with it.

• Posted

Hi Cathy, 

I had surgery in April. I had 12-16” removed, sigmoid and partial descending colon. My surgery was done robotically. Surgery itself was easy , no complications. Recovery has been a journey though. When I joined this forum prior to surgery, several people said it took 6 months to feel great.  It took me 3 months ! I have had  steak , pork chops, chicken, burgers without a problem. I still eat 1/2 of what I used to.

Most vegetables I can eat. I eat small salads. I finally don’t have pain but still have diarrhea on occasion. I would recommend it for anyone who suffers from this. I was in the ER  December,January, February  with pain, nausea, diarrhea and fever. I couldn’t eat hardly anything. I’m getting better every day! Antibiotics didn’t work for me and made me so sick. So for me surgery was the answer good luck!

• Posted

Cathy, I'm sending a prayer your way. I do hope you get all the information needed and the answers as well!

God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.