Life after the op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have a question that maybe the post-op people can help with.

After the op presumably you don't take your old medication any more, but what about the withdrawal effects. A while back I stopped the meds for one and a half days and the effect was horrible...headache, stomach cramps, diahorrea etc. Do you just have to go cold turkey? I was told that you need to come off the opiate meds slowly, but where does this figure in the treatment plan?

Maybe I'm getting better...I'm actually starting to think post op!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Best wishes

tfu

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Truly :D

As you know I've recently had my discectomy op and this is what I've done in relation to reduction in painkillers.

Prior to the op I was on

Paracetamol 8 tabs a day

Diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day

Morphine Sulphate 60 mg a day ( 20mg am, 40mg night) on this since March so technically hooked!!

My GP was always fine for me to try decreasing the Morphine which I usually tried doing every month which helped review my pain levels but I couod never reduce it as the pain was too bad. On the day of the op I started reducing it. I took 30mg at night. Post discharge from hospital I have reduced it by 10mg ever other day. I have had mild withdrawal symptoms ie feeling hot then cold but only lasts a couple of hours. I am noe down to 10 mg twice a day and have not felt any withdrawal effects today. My GP had said I could reduce it by 10mg every 4 days but that there was no hard and fast rule and as the effects have been mild I have speeded up the process. By next Tuesday I will be off the Morphine completely. I will be asking my GP for some co-codamol as a back up to take when more than Paracetamol is required though, and still have the Diclofenac. My GP has been really great regarding pain relief..I feel really fortunate as not everyone has had the same positive experience. When is your OP?

Jules xx smile smile

• Posted

Hi jules,

My op is on 28 November (finally!!!) :lol: :lol:

I note what you say about your GP helping you to plan your withdrawal from the meds.

I am taking 3 x 50mg Diclofenac + 8 x Co-codamol a day. It took ages and much pain later to find this combination that worked. Previously I have tried Tramadol, Arcoxia, Nortripyline & Diazapam as well. I only tried morphine once, but it did nothing for the pain, which is a little worrying when I go into hospital. The current meds though are not as good as they were and at this late stage I don't really want to be trying anything new, I'd rather just take a little extra here and there or else try to ignore the pain!

The surgeon recently wanted me to try an experiment to see what happened when I came off the meds, but she wanted me to slowly drop the diclofenac first, then start on the Co-codamol. I think that the rationale being that the Diclofenac can cause intestinal damage/heart problems so the quicker you are off it the better. It's interesting though that you are dropping the opiates first. The experiment only lasted 27 hours by the way and was basically a disaster.

I am expecting zero support from my GP after the op, so I'm hoping that the hospital will step in with some advice.

Best wishes

tfu

• Posted

Hi Truly,

Sorry to hear that your pain regime isn't doing what you need at the mo...but not long to wait now and hopefully the op will have a good outcome. With my painkillers..we tried everything...co-codamol, tramadol and Diazepam with no avail so when I went to the surgery in tears my GP started the Morphine. I have to admit the pain initially got worse before it got better as he started on the lowest dose and increased it...it was started on the Friday and needed to call the out of hours GP service x2 over that weekend. Then my GP saw me weekly with a phone call midweek to review my pain. My GP and I had the reducing plan in place all along as every month I tried to reduce it to establish my pain level, and it was important for me to come off the Morphine first so I could establish if the op had worked as this was the main medication holding the pain at bay.I also want and need to get back to driving as soon as my back is ready. The diclofenac is the next one to be reduced which I will be commencing probably next week. My GP has also given me a co-codamol script for a lower codeine dose that I had previously been prescribed.15/500 instead of 30/500 which I requested. On the down side My GP is retiring at the end of the year :cry: :cry: and I'll be sorry to see him go . On the up side when I had a consultation with him yesterday I met his successor so they did a handover of care which is perfect practice in my book :D :D . It's really strange how care varies so much around the country. :?

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Wow Jules,

Your GP sounds like an angel. Mine couldn't care less. This is a typical conversation:-

Doctor

\"You do know that these medicines can cause side effects don't you?\"

Me

\"um yes (surprised :o ) I've read the boxes\"

Doctor

Good, then don't come back in a few months to hold us responsible if you get them\"

At which point he then noted the computer records.....discussed side effects!!

Perhaps not surprisingly I haven't been back since May. I get all my presecriptions online.

Treasure your doctor, you are blessed!!!

TFU

• Posted

My old, old GP was like that before he retired. Would do anything he could to help the patients out, unlike the GP's of today that are more interested in penny pinching than actual medical treatment.

Bring back the old school is what I say.

• Posted

hi

i too have a good gp well 2 in fact as they both job share, they take time to explain things like with the collar , and the meds i never feel hurried with them or that i shouldnt be bothering them (like with some at my surgery practise) i just hope they continue to be supportive . gail

• Posted

Hi Truly,

Just a thought...how do you get on with your surgeon? Just a thought but if you can come up with a plan together in hospital regarding medication for example...if your discharge meds are n ot effective the surgeon ( or his registrar) could make suggestions as to alternative pain relief in your discharge letter of which you can ask for a copy to be sent to you. You and the GP may not get the letter for a couple of weeks but by then if you are still in pain( but the operation will have a good outcome anyway) you could see the GP and he cannot fob you off by saying it's to be expected with post operative healing blah, blah blah.I always think it's good to have a plan B and when at the hospital use all the resources you have available to you ie physio, occupational therapist etc.

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

hi jules

only met mr martins registrar once never met mr redfern, and wont be meeting them again until i get admitted so cant really say whether the communication will be good. the registrar i did see got off to a bad start by telling me that i would be admitted within a few weeks(in july) its nov and im still here so not a good start. gail

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Try not to be too hard on the registrar...from my experience working in the NHS the medic's request is often not complemented with the appts system...for example where I work the doc can ask to see the patient again in 6 weeks but in reality the next available appt is in 16 weeks!! Not good. More resources are needed. Have you rung the secretary/shedular as to where you are on the list?

Jules xx smile

• Posted

hi jules

dont think i best phone the secretary again she,ll have me for harrasment! every time i spoke to her it was a different story 1 month then 6 mths then the end of the month and now by xmas so what am i too believe? and now ive been put on the list of two surgeons (to try to speed things up) well i wouldnt know who to phone anyway lol. i know what you mean about the docs asking to see you in 2 wks and in reality there are no appointments it has happened to me but when that happened i got a phone call the week after my mri to ask me to attend the following week( id been pushed up the list due to my results) but thats where it stops. i know we defo need more resources, and i think over the last two years i have been patient and understanding but it is very trying at times. gail :evil: :cry:

• Posted

Hi Gail,

I think in the Royal Gwent where my sister has undergone a knee replacement today they have schedulars who deal with surgical lists not the secretaries..it may be worth ringing switchboard at Morriston to ask if the have similar,

Take care,

Jules xx smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.