Life after total thyroid removal ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

my blood levels are finally in a stable place after 14 months methomazole and blood work and the roller coaster of weak and tired NOW IM FINNALY feeling a bit better but im scheduled for thy removal end OCTOBER IN A FEW WEEKS.

MY THOUGHTS are this,

i have ruled out the radiodine therapy

• so now it comes down to surgery or continuing on the methomazole

i’m told that to continue on that medication is more dangerous than the Synthroid medication I would be on after removal . also I have three nodules that are not cancerous that could become cancerous

Plus I’m told that the symptoms of graves should go away after the thyroid removal. I’m just wondering if life is going to be better after surgery or should I roll the dice and continue on the medication for a while, while technically thinking I’m in remission. I’m 56 years old and don’t want to have complications 10 years from now Really not sure what to do

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack,

I'm fourteen years post-op. While my reason for having my thyroid removed is different than yours, I can write on not having one. I think my quality of life is better. My levels do have to be monitored closely. I've been Synthroid induced hypo and hyper. You do learn over the years how those things personally affect you and can clue the doctor when it's time for a recheck, even though it might be premature. Anyway, things happen slowly, when you're relying on just Synthroid. It takes months to go off the rails and to recover. But none of it has ever been as bad when I had my thyroid.

I wish you nothing but the best. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

Take care,

Serp.

• Posted

I don't know why it didn't post my whole reply. I'm going to try and post what it left out. If it won't post, I'm sorry.

I'm fourteen years post-op. While my reason for having my thyroid removed is different than yours, I can write on not having one. I think my quality of life is better. My levels do have to be monitored closely. I've been Synthroid induced hypo and hyper. You do learn over the years how those things personally affect you and can clue the doctor when it's time for a recheck, even though it might be premature. Anyway, things happen slowly, when you're relying on just Synthroid. It takes months to go off the rails and to recover. But none of it has ever been as bad when I had my thyroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.