Life after VATS for pneumothorax

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had several pneumothorax on both left and right lung. My right lung was the most recent 2 years ago, the numbness in the right went away however the left is still there. 

Most recently, I had minor back pain on the right side went in for an xRay and it was a small pneumothorax. Has this happened to anyone else? Doctor said it would heal itself...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery on both lungs after multiple collapses over 30 years ago.  I still have blebs pop from time to time.  It is painful, but at least I know I can’t have a collapse due to the surgery. As a matter of fact, I have one that popped a few days ago that is still painful - I think it was caused by my new CPAP machine, which would cause a bit of pressure in the lungs.  Since the surgeries long ago, my popped blebs always heal themselves.

I am confused as to how you could have an actual pneumothorax after your surgery.  With my surgery, pleural abrasion was part of it, which caused the lung to adhere to the chest wall, making it impossible for it to ever collapse again.  I have had blebs to pop since, but no collapse.  Did they do pleural abrasion to you?

• Posted

I had a pleurodesis and the pneumothorax I had recently was very small, it wasn’t even a full collapse. The doctor said it was smaller than a tip of a pencil. 

I’m assuming when your blebs pop you also get a small pneumothorax again but your lung doesn’t collapse?

• Posted

I’m not sure.  I thought that with the lung attached to the chest wall from the pleurodesis that there wouldn’t be any space for air to escape the lung.    But I am just assuming this. When it has happened to me, since my surgery long ago, I only have the pain - not the shortness of breath that accompanied the pain when a lung collapsed before the surgery. 
    • Posted

Hello. Over this 30 year how are you doing with exercise or camping at the mauntain?
    • Posted

I’ve never been the athletic type - more of a nerd.  I’ve never had any problems with exercise, but I don’t know if if would feel comfortable getting too far into the wilderness. If you had a problem, it might be difficult to make it back home.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.