Life back after open Myomectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

I have had an open Myomectormy 3 weeks ago. I must say I am so glad I decided to go for the operation. I had no idea what so ever that I had fibroids. I thought that I had IBS. No bleeding, periods fine, no pain but constantly bloated ,always tired, nauseous so couldn't eat, and always letting out wind. I was not a big girl but a bit overweight and not really healthy eater so I changed my diet lost weight but my belly was still huge. After going to my Doctor he referred me to have an MRI. It turned out that I had a  external17cm X10cm fibroid on a 3cm stalk filling up my tummy. I was so shocked.The operation is very painful but I have my life back.

i am doing better everyday. I did not have a historectomy altough it was recommended. I made it very clear to the surgeon that that would be a a last resort for me.

For anyone who is not sure if they should go for the op. I can say that I feel so much better, all symptoms gone, flat belly and my life back.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that was certainly a humongous fibroid, bet you are glad to be rid of it! Glad things went well with the op,  hope the recovery is short, and that you don't get any regrowth! 

• Posted

Thanks! No regrowths! Lol. I think what surprised me the most is how readily or easily a histerectomy is suggested. I personally think we need to  challenge this more as women. 
    • Posted

Yes I agree, being an older lady (nearly 59), I was only offered a hysterectomy, after all I don't need those bits any more do I? I have so far resisted, and have been on Esmya which has helped, and now menopause seems to be upon me, the bleeding has subsided to a manageable level but the fibroids are still there.

• Posted

Did you know that after a hysterectomy you can loss your sex drive and also can effect your orgasm? I was not going to let that happen without a fight!
  • Posted

Wowsers that's a big one.

It's interesting u had one that big with no pain and heavy blood loss.

My doc seems to think mine is ok as I don't bleed heavy.in constant groin pain

Bloating.tiredness etc etc

Got to wait 5 more weeks til I see gyny.

Glad u feeling better. I'm praying I will get to that stage eventually.

• Posted

I feel and hear you. I know that 5 weeks feel like ages away but as soon as you have the scan and know exactly what you are dealing with you will feel much better.
    • Posted

I just read your post. My case is similar to yours. No bleeding but really bad leg groin hip and nerve pain during ovulstion and before period. I have been going through this for almost 3 years. I'm 49 almost 50. My Ob/Gyn doesn't think my uterus and fibroids could be causing this problem. My uterus is enlarged retroflexed and filled with 4 large fibroids plus many smaller ones. Radiologist said I probably have more then 10 fibroids. Plus I have cysts on my ovaries. I would love to have myomectomy done but not sure if they will be able too because of so many fibroids. This pain is awful, plus stomach issues, bloating and constant fatigue. Seeing My Ob/Gyn next week Wednesday to discuss options on surgery. Take Care??

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

It's awful isn't it. I'm affected every day. I've just turn 45.

Why on earth don't they think it's your fibroids and cysts giving u all these symptoms. This is what I'm dreading, that when I finally get seen that I get fobbed off.

I've never been like this in my life.

Bloating, digestive problems and tiredness is part of my life.

I have learnt not to even try doing any exercise as I will pay the price with fatigue a few days later.

Weight gain is a real worry to me.

Sleep is a problem to.

Any thoughts on what they think yours could be.?

I've recently had new symptoms.

Whilst I was on my period thus month I had the usual left groin pain but it almost felt like it was being pulled, and also groin pains with bowel movements during period. I Googled this and it brings up endometriosis? ??

I hope you get some answers .For yourself and me ha ha ??

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing this! I am new to this board and having an open myomectomy in December, and feeling really nervous about it/worried it's not the right decision, it's great to read a positive story smile 

• Posted

I completely understand why you are worried. What make you doubt that this is the right decision? 
    • Posted

Sorry let me rephrase that, I know it is, I just am really scared of surgeries rolleyes

• Posted

I don't blame you. My experience was that the hospital staff (suregeons) really put me at ease before the surgery. I remember the anastasian asking me what my profession was after given me an injection to relax me. The next moment I saw him and he smiled and said the the surgery was all done. I couldn't belive it. No idea that I my surgery was over. Post surgery I had a lot of pain. Not the first day but the second however I was so happy to have the fibroid out and my life back.

• Posted

congrats to you. i have similar case now. priod is normal and a little bloated. am going for myomectomy soonest to remove them to inrease my chances of conception. which aneasthetics were you given, did you sleep or you awake the the surgery,

thanks

• Posted

I don't know what anaesthetic I was given but I was asleep , which is a good thing.

• Posted

Thank you so much. My gynea was asking if I want to be awake or ale sleep during surgery. Thanks a bunch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.