Life changing brace...finally

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dec 2012 I slipped and fell on some ice at work and had a trimaliolar fracture of my right ankle. After a halo, 8 ankle surgeries and severe arthritis I finally was contemplating amputation when I sought the opinion of a third Ortho who told me about a brace that was being made at the Hanger Prosthetics in Washington called an exosym brace. It's a bionic mix between an orthotic and a prosthetic. I flew out there on Feb 5th and returned this past wed and when I say this is life changing it is an understatement. Within minutes of putting the brace on I was doing things I haven't done in years ,and within the week I was hiking, walking without a limp, almost 90%pain free and all kinds of to other things I wouldn't have even attempted since breaking my ankle. I highly recommend anyone who is at their wits end to look this brace up immediately and see for yourself.

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Wow what a interesting experience with a brace. I will look it up. Thank you very much and my ankles thank you too! 

so nice to hear a positive message!

• Posted

I hope people don't think I work for them lol. I am still honestly shocked it works as well as it does. A lot of people haven't heard about it and I want everyone to hear about it now. I was honestly at the point of cutting my leg off myself.

• Posted

No no one  will think you are . I have seen this before as a way to help with foot drop from nerve damage as a result of hip replacement surgery and nerve damage in the foot from diabetic neuropathy. Sadly there are both issues in my family.

I want to thank you for reminding me. I hope to find one near me. Thanks again very much! You tube has some really nice videos . 

• Posted

Hi Emtkidder!

I am so happy for you! People who haven't experienced chronic, horrible pain can't relate to us. I just had ankle replacement surgery three months ago, and I'm now bearing weight in my boot. It will be a long recovery, but hopefully worth it.  I am putting the name of the brace in my notes, in case I need to pass it onto someone. 

Good luck!

• Posted

What's the name of this boot? I am 8wks post op, and I own, but I still can't bend my ankle. Will it work for that?

• Posted

I just met with a girl who has the ExoSym device & she couldn’t say enough good things about this device. She has severe nerve related damage & can’t walk without her ExoSym at all. It has given her back her life. I was contemplating another surgery & she has made me change my mind. I’m lucky I don’t have nerve damage but I’m not far away from being wheelchair bound. Severe pain in box feet. Failed fusions plus multiple failed surgeries. I can hardly wait to get these devices for both feet. The cost will be the price of a new car here in Canada but I know it will be worth it. Aiming for August. 

• Posted

Wow. I’m so happy to hear that. I’m fundraising as we speak to get these braces for both feet. I was also considering amputation but it would have to be both feet so I can’t do that. I’ve had several operations on my left foot, double ankle fusion & arch reconstruction which have all made me worse. My left ankle feels so tilted I’m almost walking on the inside ankle. I can’t see how this brace could help that but I’m willing to give it a try. I haven’t been able to walk in years, only from point a to point b. It certainly does a number on your head. Please let me know how you progress with these. I’m canadian so this is going to add to the cost even more. I’m so happy these are working for you. They almost sound like a miracle brace. 

• Posted

To me it has been a miracle brace. There were 2 girls from Calgary there when I was there last week. Such nice people. I was pretty much to the point you were. I tend to walk on the outside of my foot because it was numb from nerve damage so I favored walking on that part of the foot even though It was tearing up my hip and knee also. I will still in the long run will need a replacement for both. Lucky me! Lol the difference the brace made within minutes made me stop and cry. I went from needing help off a curb to actually climbing a hill without issue and little pain. I would pay 3 times the amount if I had to for them.
  • Posted

So very impressed with so many replies who are looking forward to getting this an

mazing brace.

thanks for sharing this info and keep on movin! 

• Posted

I'm headed for the Hanger Clinic in Gig Harbor on Oct. 22nd and hope to have similar positive results. Thanks for keeping my hopes alive!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.