Life has been miserable ever since I contacted blepharitis. Any way to kill blepharitis?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this board.

I have been suffering from blepharitis for about 8 months.

Contacting blepharitis has been a life changing event for me.  My life had been miserable ever since I got blepharitis.  It's so difficult concentrate  on reading and doing anything as eye irritation is too high and eyes also get so dried that many times I can't see things straight anymore.  I have seen few doctors but none of them were helpful to me.

They just say clean your eyes with hot water and use cuetips.

I have tried having hot shower on my eyes, coconut oils, baby shampoos, but none of them were very helpful. (Only baby shampoos seem to give me some reliefs for a while).

Right now I stay at home and am studying something even that is very difficult to do due to my eyes.  I don't have a job right now mainly due to the fear that I won't be able to perform well in society with my horribly irritating eyes.  And I haven't told my family about it because my family will just blame it on using computer too much.

I have many suicidal thoughts since I just don't see how I'm going to live rest of my life like this.

How do you guys live with blepharitis? Has anyone been able to effectively kill it? I have read on this forum that few people had success with wet wipes but I'm not so sure as wet wipes can actually make your eyes worse.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, sorry you are feeling so miserable and despairing but there is hope that you will eventually control your bleph but it'll take time.  It look me two and a half years and I a man much more comfortable now. 

I take a strong antihistamine daily and 6000mgs Omega 3 capsules which have helped tremendously with inflammation. Baby shampoo helps with itching followed by heated eye mask for ten minutes morning and night.

for light sensitivity I have found reaction specs with drivesafe antiglare coating have gone a long way t

• Posted

To cope with light sensitivity... tv, theatre, concerts, computer, lights in home and elsewhere. Expensive but worth every penny for me. 

There is lots of support on on here so do not despair. Keep in touch, all the best x

this site is slow and crashing at mo so reason for short posts and short sentences.

• Posted

Hello Arnold,

like you, only cleaning my eyes does not help. I use Fucithalmic eye drops every night before I go to bed, for 4 months already. when I wake up, I wash my eyes and use compress on my eyes that can be heated in the microwave. afterwards I clean my eyelids with eyewipes. It helps but I have to do it every day. unless I do that my eyes becomes red again. 

• Posted

Hi Arnold,

I am going to keep this as short and sweet as possible. I have had blepharitis since childhood 10 and am now 30. Ive gone through periods of depression over it and let it get in the way of practically everything. Walked out on many important things including University, Jobs etc etc. My advice to you is to "prioritise it" untill you find a solution that you are happy with. In my situation I tried all that you tried including treatments for rosacea and practically every skin condition out there but nothing really worked. I then started to have a good think about when it affects me most and wrote down a list (Winter, after drinking lots of milk/dairy products, drinking lots of tea, coffee. drinking lots of Alcohol, after exercising heavly, even after having sex as bizzare as that sounds) and possibilities of why (Dry Eye syndrome / MGD mixed with blepharitis and made a lot worse by any bodily inflammation, dirutic) its all linked.

I then wondered why it was just about managable during the summer months (without having to do anything more than clean them regularly / With the odd flair up). I came to the conclusion from lots of reading that the temprature was just right to melt the gland oil and get it moving resulting in less inflamation and gritty sensation etc.

Then I thought about accepting my summer eyelids and not accepting my winter eyelids. (Accepting that they wont ever be 100% is important too.) This let to me expermenting to resolve the winter problem. What worked for me was monthly antibiotics that have anti-inflamation properties coupled with a humidifier at night and severe MGD eyedrops (when needed) that I got from the U.S.

Along with all that I had to come to the realisation that the condition made me a nervous wreck (situationally) other times I cant be shut up. But seriously - years of my social life being dictated by how good my eyes were took their toll so during the winter months I also go on 20mg of propananol twice daily. There have been studies that mention the bad memory / thought resetting properties of propananol. So when it hits winter I am prepaired with everything in my power to make things as smooth as possible.

PS: I also cut out alcohol over the winter months for obvious reasons + get into a good sleep pattern and get at at a minimum 1-2 miles of walking done a day.

PPS: Hope this gives you an indication of how it worked for me, you have to become your own full time problem solver, your own health investigaror. Write down a list of things that are most important to you and narrow it down to one, then prioritise. In my case that was my eyelids and I am guessing it would be the same for you. Doctors may think you are crazy by the end of it (like in my case). Family may or may not be supportive but on a final note.... 

Its you that has to pull out all the stops and solve it. People around you will reap the rewards when you are better. the best investment you can ever make in life is in yourself. Dont sit there feeling sory for yourself like I did for years. Act today!

• Posted

Arnold I agree this really is a pain in the rectum, but do not despair. I have suffered conjunctivitus,dry eye and more recently blepharitis. To add to my woes I also had or still have Bell's Palsey. Am often the but of jokes from collegues (shallow at best) with nicknames such as bungeye etc. But being married to a wonderful woman that has gone through childbirth ( 3 times ) Cancer, 2 strokes and a heart attack, my problems pale into insignificane. Yes it is debilatating , but remember not life threatening. Get out there mate and kick Ass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.