Life in a cast...How did you cope?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I broke my leg falling down the stairs (sober!) about 11 weeks ago. I ended up having to have surgery were a plate and pins was inserted to stabilise my fracture. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and now i am able to weightbare with the aid of a boot.

My life in a cast consisted of seepless nighs due to itchiess! You're told not to put aything down your cast yet all you want to do is rip the cast off an soothe the itcing!  

Now enough about me... I'm doing some research an would be very grateful of your feedback on your experence with 'Life in a cast' whether it is at present or past expeences...

Many thanks

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i'm currently in a below the elbow cast for a fractured 5th metacarpal , it's just been a hassle more than anything , not really itchy , but it does get a bit hot , as it's coming into summer down where I live , I'm sure you'll relate , trying to keep the cast dry when showering is a bother , but a snap lock bag and a rubber band seems to work for me .
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply ian71390. Are you using anything to help cure the heat sensation you are experiencing? or just coping with it?

I'd be grateful of anymore feedback on how youre coping

Thanks

• Posted

I'm just dealing with it , just a bit of an annoyance .
  • Posted

Hi Milly

I had my right wrist in plaster for 6 weeks in the summer. It was bearable but perhaps because I could still get about and go to work after week 1. I wasn't cooped up at home and unable to move. I did get itching but only for short periods. By the end though, the bit round my thumb and fingers stank of sweat and stale food.

• Posted

Hi katejo11,

Thanks for your reply its really helpful.

smile

• Posted

I fractured my Right femur when hit by a tree during a Storm while on a camping trip. The surgery involved hollowing out the femur and implanting a hollow rod. The bone then grew back with no break. After the surgery I was put in a cast that was in 2 parts so I could bend my knee. The bottom half went from my toes to just below my knee. The top part from just above my knee to the top. They were joined on each side by plastic, bendable hinges. It was quite heavy, but allowed me to walk, sit, sleep while using crutches. It lasted several months. Unfortunately, the fracture site wasn't healing properly and nearly 9 months later I needed another surgery to graft bone onto the site. That required another round of the horrible cast. I was @ 30 at the time, and as I only needed 1 foot to drive, it didn't slow me down once I got used to it. At times the cast got itchy, but I used a straightened coat hanger to cope. One thing was kinda gross, the condition of the skin on my leg once the cast was off. It was dry and coarse, with lots of little bumps, and of course long matted hair. This took place in 1979 & 1980. Hopefully they have more advanced treatments for broken femurs.
    • Posted

My younger brother fractured his femur in 1970 aged 5. He spent nearly 2 months in hospital with his leg in traction
    • Posted

Wow! That's drastic! Makes my broken ankle seem minor smile

When it comes to the skin care post cast, it's horrible... I'm a nurse myself and I'm researching how the skin is managed throughout the casting period so this has been a great help!

Many thanks!

• Posted

Glad I could help. I definitely agree more needs to be done about the skin under the cast.

Good Luck

• Posted

Oh, that must have been awful for him, especially at that age! When I broke a femur in July 1979 I was initially put in traction. Having a steel rod pushed through your leg is horrible for an adult, It must've been worse for a child. I was told I could spend 6 - 8 weeks in traction or have surgery to place a rod down the length of the bone, then go home in a cast with crutches. I chose the surgery. Hopefully, your brother has very little memory of the incident.

• Posted

Hi. I'm in a temprary cast at the moment up to my knee after breaking my ankle. So far I have not expereinced any itching, but I am dreading it when I do. Any tips would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.