life is worth living so u guys should stop complaining.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I started ramipril with 2.5mg and changed to 5mg after 8 weeks cos my blood pressure was still high, i started taking 7.5mg a week ago cos my blood pressure was still high, i have noticed some improvement since i started 7.5mg and the doctor said he might increase it to 10mg if my blood pressure does'nt improve in 2 months.i have some side effect like chest pain and tiredness and am easily agitated and feel dizzy, but when i think of the consequences of massive heart attack, stroke and heart failure, boy! i have no choice than to bear the pain and continue taking my medication rather than be a dead man someday.so pls u guys should understand that for this medication to work properly there must be a side effect and life is worth leaving.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Alternatively you could ask your GP to switch your medication. There are a number of alternatives to the class of drug that ramipril belongs too. You might get low BP without any side effects.
  • Posted

I am assuming that you meant to say that life was worth living, not leaving.

Having only recently started with heart problems, I must agree that we have to make the best, manage to tolerate whatever problems we meet by the by. I must say though, that if we are talking chest pain, and inability to do anything physical. I would have to question the point of living a longer inactive life over a shorter one. I don't want to be alive just for the sake of being alive. I want to be physically capable. If I am not, then a shorter life is probably preferable.

• Posted

I agree, although my children might not! People should not assume that they have to stick with anything they are prescribed. There are choices but you can't wait for your GP to chase you, it usually has to be the other way round. I was put on atenolol to help not only high BP but also a fast heart rate, and though it was effective, the chest tightness I experienced was not something I wanted to put up with. I am now on Ramipril,only 2.5mg daily, with no side effects that I am aware of - although I do take it at night after reading that advice on here. HR still elevated, though BP has come down a bit. But if I experienced the symptoms of the original poster I would be asking for something else as that sounds like no fun at all...
  • Posted

I don't think you can simply compare Atenolol with Ramipril. They are two completely different types of drugs, Atenolol being a beta-blocker and Ramipril being an ACE inhibitor, and are used for very different reasons except for the fact that a major side effect they share is to lower the BP.

Glad you're doing better on your new drug regime but 2.5mg is a very minimal dosage so read up about it if you can and understand more about what you're swallowing if you can.

• Posted

If i were you i would have a word with your Dr regarding your symptoms as i take 10mg of ramipril daily and i do not suffer any side effects and have been taking them now for over 5 years. I live a completely \"normal\" life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.