Life leading to PRM?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Used to be athletic, ran marathons, shorter races, triathlons, Ironman triathlons, became lazy after knees took long time to heel after a mountain marathon (2 years). Then pulled muscle and moved, lifting heavy boxes, put me still for another year, then my favorite dog got sick, we didn't go run like we used to. Built a house, very stressful, 88 year old father got mixed up with criminals, thinking he was helping them, he has start of dementia, young boy burned his house down, I couldn't sleep for years worrying about him, my husbands prostate cancer, and problems with my new house... The kicker was moving a bad woman out of my father's house from upstairs... I had to lift boxes, carry them down those stairs for probably 40 times, then drove home 6 hours away... My body was in adrenaline overload with stress that week (lawyers, doctors, police, ...)... 8 days later I got PMR.  

Do Yall think it contributed? Or just luck of the draw. Just curious. 

What were your experiences? 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My opinion only: Not just "luck of the draw," but more than the immune system could possibly attend to. Good luck in dealing with the PMR--I think we'll all be fine one of these days if we stay patient, eat right and sleep right, witih a little easy exercise thrown in...................Barbara
  • Posted

Hi Layne, so sorry but you really have had a time of it.  I was diagnosed 14 years ago with ME/CFS I still maintain chronic stress, my body and mind could not take it any more, so it had to shut down in order for healing to take place.  I was a single parent, two sons, mortgage, full time university, no money.  No emotional support.  So had to keep on going.  Then  last year was diagnosed with PMR, again chronic stress due to my ex husband dying, so what affected my sons, affected me.  One is still at home.  No support.  On my own, so I was their shock absorber, they are single men.  I am so led back it's unreal but I know that my illness was brought on by stress.  I cannot prove it.  I am not a worrier, more a warrior lol.  I have two friends, one lives 200 miles away, my other friend has fybromyalgia and doesn't drive.  I don't have the energy to talk on the phone.  

I had said to my dr. years ago that my adrenal glands should be burned out. Thats my experience and mine alone.  But hey ho, I am alive and breatheing.  Good luck.  Regards  Pat

• Posted

I believe 100% that stress and lifestyle contributed to getting PMR.  I went from doing triathlons to not being able to get out of bed in a matter of weeks.  
    • Posted

I had always been a cyclist, then broke my wrist just prior to completing purchase of a property, then had to move my stuff from one end of town to the other.

In between, I took up hard running in the hilly Sierra.

Finally, winter arrived suddenly, and after a couple of weeks of more sedentary living, the PMR attack happened suddenly over the course of a few days.

There was additional stress in dealing with medical over-billing from the wrist injury, not to mention things like homeowners insurance bills.

So I definitely feel that stress played a part in my developing pmr.

• Posted

I have to say that I have never come across anyone with PMR who could be described as a couch potato.  We all seem to have been busy, able people with a tendency to multitask while multitasking!

I think that while we have all been saving the world, all our systems have become depleted (not just the adrenals) and that being diagnosed with PMR is our body's way of making us slow down.

• Posted

Do any of you have low thyroid issues or Hoshimoto's? 

Still wondering what common problems might be.  Low vit D sounds common too. 

• Posted

I have an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed more or less simultaneously with PMR.  Since I was stabilised on the right dose of thyroxine I've had no further problems.
    • Posted

Low vit D is commonly found with almost all autoimmune disorders - but it isn't known if it is a cause or an effect. Certainly, a study in Finland showed that supplementing neonates with vit D reduced the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in teenage - it is also an autoimmune condition.

But then, something like 80% (if not more) of adults of PMR age have low levels of vit D - but they don't all have PMR or any other autoimmune disorder.

• Posted

I think stress triggers PMR/GCA. I was an active 53 year old then my husband had heart issues a few months before my issues. I took care of him, got him settled, then boom, my issues hit. Pretty sure if he'd stopped eating all that junk food I could have delayed this wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.