Life On catheter

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am detailing my experience below to see if someone else has also been through a similar one.

I had the first catheter for 3 months then urologist removed it to see if I can pee. I had very rough 5 hours in which my bladder was pushing but not a drop of urine came out. In Er, a new catheter was put in , in a very painful and bloody exercise, that gave me uti - swelling my right testicle that took 4 weeks of cipro to cure. This catheter is in for 2 months now, and I am scheduled for laser turp surgery in November.

Question: when is your catheter changed? every month?

What size/type is this catheter?

Have you had utinfection as a result of changing catheter? If yes, were you given cipro?

0 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, what you are describing happens more than it should. Indwelling catheters are not only uncomfortable and bothersome but also frequently cause urinary tract infections

To be frank, there is really no excuse I can think of for your urologist to have subjected you to an indwelling urinary catheter for what appears to be five months. My guess is that your urologist is either "old school", out of date, inept, or simply doesn't put their patient's first.

In most cases, much better than an indwelling catheter is what is called self catherization. It's a skill that can be learned by most anyone very quickly and let's you empty your blader whenever you want without having tubes in you 24/7. If that doesn't work out there is something called a suprapubic catheter than empties your blader through a very small hole in the abdomen so no tubes in the urethra. Both self cathing and suprapubic's have less urinary tract infections associated with them than the kind of catheter you are using. 

Sounds like it's time to see another urologist, preferably at a larger teaching hospital who can offer you more options such as these. They can also re-evaluate you for the TURP operation which hopefully you have been told will almost invariably leave you with retrograde (dry) ejaculations for life. There are other newer, less invasive procedures now available that might work for you.

Jim

• Posted

I agree with JimJames - self cathing is the way to go for now. You may find (as many do) that over time your bladder starts to work better and your cathing fequency might go down to once a week or less.

As for TURP, I would recommend against it until you've tried all of the les invasive procedures. There are two performed by urologists and one performed by Interventional radiologists. Rezum and Urolift are done by uro docs, are outpatient procedures, the work most of the time and rarely have any permanent side effects. TURP on the other hand has about a 10% chance of causing lifelong impotence, almost 100 % chance of Retrograde ejaculation and about a 3% chance of incontinence. There are guys on this forum who are on diapers for life due to a TURP surgery. Urologists still call it the gold standard, but it isn't and its barbaric by today's standards.

My recommendations:

1 ) get rid of that indwelling cath and start self cathing.

2) FInd a doc who can do one of hte less invasive procedures I mentioned and have one of them done before considering going under the knife.

• Posted

I wish you luck with the Laser Turp.  I hope it works for you.  What did the doctor tell you.  I hope it does not cause you more problems  Good Luck  Ken
  • Posted

Be careful my friend not to listen to all of the negative advice on here. Much of the negative stuff I read prior to deciding what to do was from guys who I believe never had any of the new TURP proceedures. I prolonged my decision because of some of the internet negativity which was not good for me in the end. Most guys talk about their negative experiences. The good ones just move on with their life and never write about them.

I had similar symptons as you are experiening. I had a catheter for one month due to not being able to pee. ( It started while on a vacation) The size 16 F.  Yes, it got uncomfortable and I had a minor UTI from it ( given Cipro). The doctor removed it thinking that the infection or irratation went away. I peed for a day and then it locked up. After another cathater was administered in the ER, I was shown how to self cath. That was painful and caused a lot of bleeding (probally due to my overly large prostate). 

I did not want to spend my life sticking a tube in me every 4 hours so my doctor advised the Button Plasma TURP. My prostate was too big for the UROLIFT which was my first choice.  He said that the laser or HOLEP was also a great proceedure, but my hospital did not have the equipment, so I did the Button. They are all the same thing.  They just remove the prostate tissue by different methods. Mine was removed with plasma, yours will be a lazer. 

I am 7 weeks POST and have a great stream when I pee. I didn't have much pain immediately afterwards. Yes there is the normal healing process of minor pain, frequency, and blood in the urine but that is normal, although it can make you feel uneasy. Anything other than yellow pee  can freak you out.  Red is not a good visual but the DR said Koolaid is Okay ketchup is not. Mine was Koolaid so I felt better. That comes and goes depending on how active you are. More activity causes more bleeding, so take it easy.  No biggie though once you realize that the unrinary tract and prostate area does not like being messed with. It fights back. 

I have ejaculated and semen does come out. It is about the same as when I was on the flomax and Finesteride. Not much retro and the DR says that will improve as time goes on.  I understand that many of these procedures when done by an experienced Dr have great results. Check out your Dr and see what others say.

I am 61 and my prostate was so big (over 100) that it took him 1 1/2 hrs just to do the bladder neck and one half of the prostate. But that was enough he said for complete clearance without damaging the semen duct. (That was Good News when I woke up).

Mine so far has gone pretty good. I don't need a gusher of semen to feel like a man. As long as the feeling is there (and it is) I'll be okay. It is great to pee like I was 30 again. I do not have incontinence and get an erection as strong as before. Best thing is no more meds and I can PEE no more drip or straining while urinating!

Good luck my friend.

• Posted

Hello David.  So happy you had a good doctor.  To me it not the procedure it how good the doctor is.  I think the Plasma Turp is much better the the old turp.  If you would have had them cut away at your prostate you would have had more problems they you did.  Glad you don't have retro. With a old turp they start at  the bladder neck and go down that is were you end up with retro ejaculation.  Talk with my urologist if you remove the tissue around the bladder neck you have a better chance of not getting retro because it will close normal.  So men what ever procedure trust in you doctor and if he does not answer your question right move on to the next  You will know which one feel right.  Ken.   PS.  David I had the Uro-lift done April of 2015  ll well.  Like you  I don't need a gusher of semen I just want it.  It feel right.  Never had a lot when I was younger Still had 3 Kids.  I guess some of them were good swimmers   

• Posted

I am glad I found this forum 53 days ago.  I took the advice of Neil and JimJames.  It was the best thing I did for my prostate and bladder in the last 13 years. In 13 years, I've done one Greenlight Laser, and two turps.  They work for a few years and then the prostate grows back again and I had to repeat the procedure three times.  The best thing, in my case was the self-cathing.  By inserting the catheter on a daily basis, when needed, it helps the bladder to regain it's strength and purpose.  This is what I've learned on this forum, and it works for me.  I feel comfortable and confident now, when I leave the house, that I won't be wondering where is the next restroom?  Give selfcathing a try. I know it sounds freaky, and makes you feel squeemish, but once you get used to it, it's no big deal inserting that catheter.

• Posted

That's a long time for an indwelling catheter. I tried self-insert catheters for a few weeks but eventually one wouldn't go into the bladder so my superb urologist did an emergency supra-pubic catheter. That went very well and I had it for 3 months before my HoLep. I'm sure a pubic catheter is better than an indwelling one for more than a week or so. It has a low risk of infection and doesn't really interfere with the penis, sex etc. Personally I hated self-insert catheters but many find them OK. My HoLep went very well but does result in RE.

• Posted

nktoronto,

here is also one good experience. Had my bipolar TURP on June 1st. Catheter in for 9 days. Recovered quickly and painlessly. Everything was way better than I anticipated. Had sex 3x on post op day 14 (June 15) and sex is great, very satisfying, longer lasting and recovery between sessions is way shorter. Only negative is RE but for my wife and I no problems with having RE.

My only sad thing related to TURP is that I was incidentally diagnosed with prostate Ca which was later on confirmed thru prostate biopsy.

I am scheduled for radical prostatectomy on November 2nd.

Good luck with your TURP and don't let negativity about TURP direct you to something less effective that will cost you tons of money.

BTW, I am 51.

MK

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.  The are other ways to get rid of te cancer.  Did your doctor tell you if it's slow growing or fast.  Is that the only thing they offered you.  I'm going to tell you a story and I don't mean anything by this but please look into something else.  If you want I can help you look.  There is ProstRcision that kills the cancer and the normal prostate cell.  The most you can get from that is retro.  It is like a Radical Prostatectomy without surgery and leave the sex nerve alone or just seed Radioactive implates.  Here is the story  I have a friend that  worked with did not see him for a year  I throught he moved.  He had prostate cancer.  Had the biopsy 21 needles 10 came back with cancer.  The urologist tod him that all would be fine and it will be normal.  He said that he would even do a nerve sparing surgery to save the sex nerves.  Will after talking it over with his wife he said ok. He had it don roboticley  Now all he whats to do is die.  He is your age now 51 had it done a year ago.  If he want to have sex he has to give himself a shot in his penis which last about a hour. but He has told me that it takes him 1 1/2 hours to have a orgasm that is not worth the time.  They do not have sex any more because he is so depressed.  No man should have to live like that.  It is your decision on what you have done but look at other option please. Life is to short to not look at all of the alternative Good luck in what ever you do.  I know you have been on this site for a while and I want the best for you   Ken    

• Posted

Thanks Kenneth.

You already talked to your Uro about my case and you emailed me his response and agreement that surgery is best option.

Gleason 7b (4+3)

• Posted

I know I did but he also said radation.  I just don't want you to go through all of this if something else would do the same job.  Having your prostate out is going to change your life.  You may get rid of cancer but also your whole sex life.  And at 51 you should be having a hell good time.  I hope your wife is going to support you through the whole thing some women say they do but in the end they leave.  It is your decision with whatever you pick I just hope it works out for you  All the best  Ken

• Posted

Kenneth,

Please tell your friend to look into a penile implant. They work great, and will solve the problem. Also, he needs to have his meds checked to see if they could be causing delayed ejaculation.

Neal

• Posted

I have told him to talk with his doctor to see if there is a problem or talk what a psychiatrist because he his just going through the motions.  He tells me all the time he wishes he was dead.  He does not have  ejaculation.  He can have a orgasm but he said they are very mild and not worth the time. Does give himelf a shot to get erect to please his wife but after she is done he just roles over or gets out of bed.  He does not enjoy sex. He does not what to have sex anymore because it's not the same and he blames the doctor for talking him into it.  And I think he blames his wife to  I feel sorry for him no man should have to deal with something like that.  I even tell him to think about his son.  They only have one he's is in collage.  I just don't know what to do anymore with him he was all way a fun guy and was full of life...Have a good night Ken 

• Posted

He does sound depressed, and should see a mental health professional about that.

Who the hell wants to inject their penis? I can see why he doesn't want sex. The implant does the same job better with no injection.

Neal

• Posted

Yes I know but I think it comes from the urologist telling him all will be fine. The doctor should have been more realislic. No doctor should tell a patient that is having there prostate removed all will be ok.  I keep trying that is all I can do for him Ken
    • Posted

Here is the lowdown on having your prostate removed:

You will wear a diaper for 2 weeks to 6 months - most people somewhere in between. There is a 100% chance that you'll be impotent for 1-3 years and a 50% chance that you'll be able to get it up with a pill after that.

If its the only way to save your life, its worth it. But more often than not, it isn't. Radiation (there are different ways of delivering it) is usually just as effective somoe hospitals also have Gamma knife, which if you're a candidate, has virtually no side effects. Radiologists love to remove prostates and because they don't administer radiation, they often don't recommend it. You should see a radiologist and find out if he/she can offer comperable results to as prostate removal in your case. If they can, its a much better quality of life option - remember, 50/50 that you'll ever have sex again and even if you do, it will never be the same.

• Posted

Ever man deserves to have a normal life. Should not like cancer kill you in other ways. Look at all the options.  Life is to short to live life wishes you were dead. Good luck all  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.