life sucks sometimes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know so well how other sufferers feel.  My original diagnosis was a balance problem cos I was dizzy and confused all the time.  Felt I was going to fall over.  That was 22 years ago!  Numerous tests over the years including balance tests, hearing tests and an MRI have all concluded everything about me is normal and healthy.  So why have I suffered so badly for 22 yrs?  Over the years I have proved to myself I do not have a balance problem by making myself do scary things like climbing ladders, staring at the ceiling or sky, jumping up and down and basically getting on with life.  However, although I now know the original diagnosis was incorrect and there is actually nothing physically wrong with me, this has had no positive effect on the range of symptoms I suffer daily.  I find the worst one is the head pressure and the dizziness, so bad I can hardly think straight never mind live a normal live.  My head seems to pulsate in tune with my pulse, a horrible sensation that never leaves me.  Sometimes the room spins round, very frightening.  I have been treated for anxiety with anti depressants for about 18 yrs.  Yes, they do help but only in managing the symptoms not eliminating them.  This thing takes you over, it is overwhelming and changes you permanently.  You become so inward looking that life just passes you by, you do not feel a part of it.  Each day is just another day to struggle through with all feeling and pleasure removed. I have a thorough understanding of this condition having read so much over the years and experimented with my own physical symptoms and feelings I think I know it inside and out.  I know it won't kill me but none of this makes it any easier to live with.  I just want my life back.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I understand completely, I've just come out of the doctors after being told the symptoms I've described is all anxiety. Very dizzy, feeling like I'm going to fall over even when stood still. Plus keep getting a sharp pain under my ribs which is. New to me
    • Posted

So sorry to hear your diagnosis Alex but you are not alone!  When my anxiety first started I spoke with my Uncle cos I knew he had something similar.  When he told me it has lasted for 4 months I was panic stricken thinking I cannot survive 4 months of this!  Here I still am 22 yrs later.  You can cope, you will cope.  Try and lighten up a little knowing it CANNOT hurt you.  Laugh at it even if you can.  You will NOT fall over.  The most frustrating thing about anxiety is that I have no idea what I am anxious about!  It cannot be the same thing now as it was 22 yrs ago!  I wish you well and hope you are one of the lucky ones with a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

The anti depressant dose you were on may not have been sufficient or the specific AD not for you. 

Have you tried buspirone an anti anxielitic which isn't addictive?

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I have never heard of buspirone.  I have tried 3 different anti depressants, one (Prozac) made me suicidal after just one tablet!  Sertraline has been the best but again only helps manage symptoms not eliminate them.  I may ask by GP about buspirone, have you tried it?

• Posted

This is interesting because i am starting to feel alot better but the spinning is the one thing that still bothers me daily. The doctor gave me something to take because we thought it might be labyrinthitis but i couldnt take it because part of my anxiety is new medicine i have not tried before and fear of their side effects! Anyway, 6 weeks down the line and my anxiety is lessening so i have tried them a couple of times and they have helped a little... Driving in the car was getting difficult but it has improved with these tablets so im hoping this might help... Its trial and error isnt it?
    • Posted

I was given buspirone and was scared to take it.. Is this what you take Tracie and aspian? How many mg? And how often
    • Posted

I am now taking one a day of my tablets... I am allowed up to 3! They are dalled Prochlorperazine 5 mg x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.