Life with and after depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I regularly wrote and chatted on this forum last year and found it a huge help, but haven't been on for some time - apologies if i didnt reply to any of the lovely people i'd chatted with!

Just wanted to let people know that really you can and will get through through this but please be patient! I went through all sorts of side effects with fluoxetine and sometimes it was hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am so glad i stuck it out as i have now got my life back, the fear and anxiety are gone and i am really enjoying life to the full again, something that i couldnt even imagine 12 months ago.

I know i am not cured forever , it doesnt work like that and i continue to take a low dose as a precaution while i go through some big changes (all good ones though!). I hope hearing this will help someone to keep persuing happiness.

Everyone is different but there is hope. Persevere, talk to friends and family (hiding this will not help), be honest, most of all rest if you can and look after yourself.

I wish everyone who is suffering from depression the strength to keep going and find their happy place again, it is there just dont give up in it .

Good luck all, you'll get there.

Vix xx

5 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vix,

I've been on at flu for 7 months now at 5mg and I just turned 30 weeks pregnant. This trimester is really messing with my hormones. I feel like crying all the time. I also am having intrusive thoughts return, I'm not sure if you had these? I want to up my med to 10 mg because I'm completely scared of postnatal depression. My high risk doc said it was fine and it's still a low dose. I'm just worried about the baby having withdrawal. How long after you went up to 30 did you feel better? Did your anxiety increase again after you increased? Hope your pregnancy is going well!!

• Posted

Hi nicole and congratulations!

I think i started feeling the benefit of 30mg within 3-4weeks with no ill effects thankfully but i also had final results from 3 months of medical tests clearing me of anything nasty so that relieved a lot of pressure too. I never really had intrusive thought so cant really comment, its was more a hopelessness and lack of desire to be involved in real life

I probably went back to 20mg after 2-3 months unintentionally as i kept forgetting the every other day-doh! But i kept stable so just ran with it. Pregnancy is going well, got my 20wk scan in two weeks (still bit worriesome with twins even at this stage!) so it'll be nice to get that reassurance that alls ok.

Pregnancy plays havoc with everything so if you feel 10mg will help do it. Ive been on 20mg right from the start, as my very wise dr said its not perfect but its much better for you to be in the right frame of mind and be a happy mum than try come off them and risk a set back from the added pressure. From all the studies i read nothing suggested anything but very low risks on baby.

The risk of pnd is there for everyone, comes with territory i guess. I havent even thought about it, i guess we just need to make sure we loook after ourselves as much as the babies and let people help as much as possible.

If you think 10mg will help you keep calm and dr says its fine then do it. Its still a really small dose.

My waffling probably hasnt helped but youre not alone, theres people around to listen and help.

Hope your hormones settle soon, not too long to go now so try to keep your focus on how wonderful it will be to meet that blob. Its such a special time, i try to keep reminding myself how lucky i am and keep telling the depression to get lost - ive waited too long for this its not gonna be spoilt for me now!!!

Take care and good luck

Xx

• Posted

Morning vix167

ive just read your post about coming off fluoxetine. I too was on fluoxetine 20 mg at first but then was increased to 40mg from December till about July, I don't think my depression was that severe to be honest! 

I stopped taking the medication, well wasn't really planned I just forgot to take it mainly due to me starting a new job. 

Im not sure if it's really affecting me coming off it. I know I've changed but then friends who have had depression say your not the same person you were before! 

My friends closest to me at the min say I've changed and I'm snapping a lot. It could be my working such long days n early starts. 

On a separate note,

I honestly didnt think think I would get through the depression, but I did n anyone who reads this then you can too! Just take each day as it comes. You will get there eventually 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.