Lifelong Globus Sensation battle (Anxiety)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been battling with Globus Sensation since the age of 5, I know its connected to my anxiety as It has always been bad at times of high stress. luckily i have not spent the last 14 years with this constantly, but it has certainly been the biggest challenge I have ever faced in my life. After a tough battle with my anxiety around 2019 to late 2020, I seemed to be majorly on track and I was doing great. Besides a small blip in April 2021, I have been so good the past year or so, so there is proof that it can and does get better. Part of this was due to my support circle which I am very fortunate with, and also to taking the anti depressant sertraline. I went through my A Level exams completely fine and settled into Uni really well, and I was shocked my globus didn't come back.

Fast forward to early March 2022, I had to take some antibiotics for an infection, and A day into taking them, I wake up, have my breakfast, ready to go into uni for a lecture, and then I get completely smacked in the face with extremely bad globus sensation. Unfortunately mine has always made it feel like I want to gag, which makes eating and drinking incredibly difficult as well as even talking when it's really bad. This has genuinely been the bane of my existence and I just want it all to stop, when the feeling is especially bad, I find it hard to focus on anything but it and its also very difficult to leave my room. What's annoying is that my anxiety can also be triggered by the thought of globus and the feeling, and when its bad even the textures of materials can make it worse. I had a small patch during the last two weeks where I was starting to regain some normality, but I've gone up a dose on Sertraline and Im feeling the side effects sadly so as I write this I feel horrendous and like a shadow of myself. I'm hoping that the sertraline keeps working and gets me running again.

I've seen some people talking about antihistamines and im tempted to try and although im doing everything I can to get my anxiety to go away, but even when Im okay mentally now, the feeling just drags me back into a hole. I have just been prescribed a course of beta blockers but I am nervous to start them as I know they can make you wheezy, and I already have quite shallow breaths due to globus.

It's annoying there is so little known about this condition and it's been nice to see that I am not alone, although im sure we are all affected in different ways. Like I said it's gotten better before, but that was back when I lived at home, now I live by myself, and luckily im still in constant contact with family who support me when it gets dark, but I need to function and take responsibility for myself, which is proving violently difficult at the moment. But yeah I don't even know if anyone will read this, but if you do, let me know, even just talking about it can help in ways, and in the unlikely event that anyone has found a shocking magical cure apart from alcohol (which is nice for a bit, the next morning, not good) do let me know.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.