Lifestyle in AF

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sugar triggers AF. I started a diabetes diet and I feel much better than before. Other triggers are meat, dairy, alcohol, coffee.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,

Absolutely! Absolutely!

?I've been dieting following some advice from my Nutritionist since 2011, a year after I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF. This diet was aimed at calming the vagal nerve. It took a while to work but now I've only had one AF event in a bit over 3 years - and the trigger for that was sleeping on my left side one night.

?About 18 months ago I went sugar free, then because I felt like sugar again I went back to it about 4 months ago. I then noticed my blood pressure increase, particularly the systolic reading and I felt crappier. So now I'm back to sugar free ( as well as wheat free, gluten free, oats free and a shedload of other things 'free' including vegetables.) and I'm feeling great again and my BP has dropped to its normal 125/70.

?John

• Posted

Hi. I have some bizarre triggers for my PAF too. Sausages, crisps - which makes me think salt too can effect me. I agree with sugars influencing it - I had a spate of episodes after eating yoghurt! The brand I normally purchased had "improved" its recipe - reduced the fat content, but to maintain flavour I presume, upped the sugar!! I still eat bread, eat dairy and meat and drink tea, but have no alcohol, no fizzy drinks, nothing like salted peanuts or crisps, and Ive become a "label reader" when shopping, to check for those hidden, high sugars. I should be as thin as a post!!! Hhhmmm...........😁

• Posted

Without a doubt, sugars and skipped meals for me are a trigger to PVCs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.