Lifting foot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I'm 8 weeks , doing ok but I am noticing a weakness, When laid on my side in bed knees together, I cannot lift operated leg foot away from other leg.I can lift from my knee but not my foot off the other foot or off the bed. Is this a concern or is it an excercise I have been missing. I am doing ok with everything else except can't walk too far without this leg feeling weak and tight.

Sue x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

thats normal (i know your sick of that word) its just that the muscle is weak and has not woken up the op has made it go into shock and now its protesting at working . i used to put a belt from my dressing gown (nice and soft) around my foot while i was trying to lift it ,it may seem like cheating but doing it often in no time you will lift it yourself .at the begining you might have to realy lift but after a few times lessen the grip bit by bit and you will see a differance pretty soon good luck
  • Posted

Are you doing leg lifts on a regular basis. Try standing at a counter or with your hands on the back of a chair while keeping the leg stiff try swinging the leg straight out to the side and behind you. Do this 15 x's each with rest In between 3 sets each. I would say you need to discuss it with a therapist as it sounds like you have missed something along the way. Just start all over laying on your back with a couple of pillows under your head and upper body..put a belt, towel or some sort of cord around the instep of your foot. Use the leg strength to lift the leg and help the lift with the aid of the device of choice. See if you can just get the leg to come up a couple I of inches off the bed. Start slowly and increase both height and reliance on the leg muscle to do the work. You may have just hit one of those temporary brick walls an d need to rethink the process.
    • Posted

Hi Ofg

I don't have a problem with straight leg lifts,I just today at 8 weeks whilst in bed or sat on the couch that if my leg was either laid down or tilted sideways I couldnt lift from the foot to the knee (knee still) upwards - maybe I'm asking for something that we don't excercise for as I can't think of one that does a sideways strengthening ! For half leg !

Sue. X

• Posted

My physio also suggested when standing with hands on a chair, for instance, to lift the leg to the side as well as to the back . . of course, it has to be the whole leg, as the knee shouldn't bend sideways!eek
    • Posted

Just a temporary disconnect with the brain. Do the full sideways leg moves standing at the counter or chair and eventually you will get a reconnection and everything will be back on track. These set backs seem to happen as nerves are getting their healing process completed and taking instructions from the brain. It always seems to be something different for months on end.
  • Posted

I also had this problem to begin with . . Like Linda I used the merthod of raising it with a strap and very soon indeed, the muscles got the message, and started doing it themselves!  I think there was a psychological reason in my case  . .although I was trying with all my strength to lift the leg, brain was telling me 'this is going to hurt . .don't do it!'  Once I got over that, it came easy. Hope you have the same experience!
  • Posted

Ditto - but one day as if by magic - up it popped and I put it down to strength or jsut the brain not sending the messages. Use an aid as someone else said a dressing gown cord (not unde knee though) is great to retrain it and it should be fine. 
  • Posted

I had a bilateral TKR, and had an exercise where I laid on my side and had to lift my leg. And after 15 reps, I'd switch sides. Some times I felt that I really had to convince my body that it could do something that it used to do. Maybe if you could have someone do this with you, initially helping lift the foot until your body adjusts to the movement. You'll be surpirsed at how soon it becomes more natural. Let us know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.