lifting my 9 month old daughter

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi ladies , i am 5 weeks post op for anterior repair tomorrow, since my operation my baby has been going to my parents during the day and hubby picks her up 5.30 pm , i am planning on having her with me from next week (6 weeks post op) but is it safe to carry her to/from car etc, what can/cant i do, she currently weighs 22lb 14oz.. xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am not too sure as I was advised not to lift anything heavier than a half full kettle for up to 8 weeks.

Everyone is different though and may depend on how physically fit you are and how bad your prolapse was.

Can you phone the physio department at the hospital where you had your surgery done to ask them.

• Posted

Hello helen. It's too early really......sorry because this must be so hard for you. barbara is right in a way 8 weeks but ideally later
  • Posted

Hi Helen ,

Really feel for you, I had my womb out and a front repair done, 3 year ago. My 1st Grandchild was 6 months. I avoided lifting him, only really had a cuddle while sitting. My 2nd grandchild born 7 months post op , I was back at work just 2 days , daughter on maternity leave, by this time I year old crawling and getting into everything. Daughter here most days. Did my best to avoid lifting but very difficult. It's a reflex action to grab them away from things when they might hurt themselves, especially when mum busy with baby. I so wanted to help.

Looking back think that was probably start of recurring prolapse. 3 years on back in having repair front and back this time. Now almost 4 weeks post op. It is so difficult, my original prolapse was very advanced 3rd degree, so I know now that I should never be lifting toddlers or doing any heavy gardening or heavy exercise. I was a regular at the gym, loved the treadmill an cycling. Had to give up treasmill. This time will have to maybe stop the cycling stick to only swimming. I am almost 56 and my ligaments severely weakened with the start of the change which triggered the severe prolapse.

As you have a little one I'm sure you are still young and can recover much more successfully, so please be careful and look after yourself so you are able to look after your little one in the longer term!

Phyl xx

A few weeks are nothing in comparison to years of being limited for life!

• Posted

Hi Helen, not to lift weight more than 5 kg is what I was said but as the other ladies have said each woman is different, only your gyn knows if your surgery would support your baby's weight, why don't you call him/her for advise? If you don't have other option maybe you could ask him/her how to lift. Here in Spain the physiotherapist teach you how to lift weights without harming your surgery. For example I was told that while I'm lifting anything I should blow slowly not to put the pressure on your PF. I wish the best for you!!! Let us know how things are going!
    • Posted

thank you for the reply, oh my 5kg isnt much weight at all , surely that cant be a lifetime limt ? that weight just doesnt seem practical lol x
    • Posted

No helen it isn't a lifetime although some posts and information online will tell you it is. After a year I was lifting anything and everything including heavy grandchildren. The work I'm doing for my local NHS trust is quite clear. Unless there are exceptional circumstances normal day to day activities can resume after 12 months.
    • Posted

aww that sounds better lol there is no way i can not never pick up my daughter ever again , when would you recommend would be ok to pick her up , i have picked her up when she has stood up while ive been sat down but then its just straight onto my lap x
    • Posted

It's often how you lift that's as important, like bending your knees slowly. You are doing the right thing at the moment but at around 12 months you can usually lift up to 25lbs so up to that point you start gradually building up but it's important to speak to your consultant because there will be exceptions.
    • Posted

I'm sorry Helen I meant that I had been said by my physiotherapist not to lift more than 5 kg during the first months after the surgery, not forever. I'm I the 4 month after surgery and I try not to lift heavy things cos my pelvic floor is very weak now...but as soon as I strength it with exercises I hope it can support more lifting.
  • Posted

thanks everyone, i was told it would be ok to lift my baby but just cant remember who was the ones that told me that , im sure it was the surgeon and the anaesthetist and im sure the physiotherapist said not to bend down to pick her up but have her lift heself to me while sitting and lift her that way , i cant phone anyone as i dont know any names, i was told a dr hack at somepoint but no idea x
    • Posted

If you know the hospital you had surgery in then phone the switchboard and ask for the physio department then explain to them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.