Ligament damage during TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

My sister underwent a TKR very recently. The surgeon damaged a ligament whilst performing the TKR and now she has to wear a big, cumbersome brace set at maximum 90 degree bend. What impact will this have on her recovery and knee outcome as I cannot gain access to her surgeon and nursing staff are ducking and weaving my questions, as per usual? Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe you are saying this brace is not set to a fixed 90° but will allow the bend only up to 90. In other words she is bending th leg but no further than 90. If this is the case the process should only be slowed minimallyon 3 of my 11 surgeries, for various reasons, I had my leg restricted to no more than a 40 degree bend and was in that position for as long as 2 months. On one if those occasions the prosthesis was completely removed and an antibiotic spacer was put in its place for 4 months. The leg was restricted to a 25% bend and just a toe touch or 25% weight bearing and I was 78 years old at the time. After the new prosthesis was installed I was again immobilized for 30days before starting rehab. With all of that history I was back to 117/0 within a year. Obviousily I'll never be much better but then again, I'm pushing 80. Just be sure she does exactly as she is instructed by the dr and therapist. This is a very slow p egg ocess and trying to escalate by overdoing will just create problems. The same basics that go with this process apply: pain meds on a regular not catch up schedule, extra hydration all the hours of the day, ice any time you feelbswelling or burning and itching, elevate every time you sit and rest every chance you get. One basic principle.......a dehydrated and tired body will not and cannot heal as fast as a rested, hydrate one. Everyone is different.....don't get caught up in the comparison game of trying to be where a friend or relative was at as given point in their recovery and pay no attention to fabricated tales of marvelous, unbelievable recoveries. Good luck and stay with the contributors in this forum.

• Posted

Tks OFG for your informative response. The maximum bend is set at 90 deg. She can straighten her leg and is mobile. I am her carer and I appreciate you taking the time to impart your experience and knowledge. I am bringing her home tomorrow so I will give her your post to read for herself. She has endured much too! Gotta keep going, even in the face of adversity, eh? X
  • Posted

Fear not recovery has its own time table and the function of the knee is to straighten, as well as to bend.  Fixing the maximum bend is to promote healing the ligament so future repairs can be avoided. Listen well to the PT and do the exercises vigilantly and full recovery will be on the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.