Ligament Reconstruction Surgery (Brostrom Procedure)

Posted , 5 users are following.

On the 16th I'm having ligament reconstruction surgery...here's the story:

I've been dealing with an ankle sprain since September, and was in a boot for about 6 weeks, have been doing PT and finally, my doctor ordered an MRI in early December. At my next appointment, he walked in with a solemn face and gave me the news: you've got a torn ligament. I had a knee-jerk reaction and cursed, then apologized for my language. It's just that that was literally the last thing I wanted to hear! I've already had surgery on this ankle, I didn't want to have to face that again.

Anyway, he sat down and was like, you've got 2 options, surgery, or wear a brace forever and still have problems...so I cursed again and said, well, surgery is the best option and he agreed -- well, he first said it and I was like, I have to think for a minute to process.

What really sucks is that I'm an adult now and work so there's no break for me to do this over (last time I did it over summer break -- can you say bummer summer?), so I'm going to miss out on a good amount of work.

The other thing is, I'm going to have to stay at my parent's house for at least the first week, if not longer so they can help me out because I remember last time I could barely do anything the first 2 weeks..

...and, I'm only 26...I shouldn't be on my 2nd surgery already!!

So, I went in yesterday to discuss the details of the procedure and to schedule it...and when they asked me when I wanted it done, I said as soon as possible, thinking it'd be at least a few weeks. Nope! They were like, how about the 16th? I paused and then said, sure, sounds good! So now I'm booked and it's official and just a week and a half away! Eek!

I'll be honest and say I'm kinda scared. I wasn't at all when I was a teenager, but now I know more/better...But I've gotta put on my big girl pants and do it.

I'm also totally 100% not looking forward to spending 6 weeks in a cast and then time in a boot etc. But at least for the time I'm in the cast I'll have a knee scooter. Got a script for that already smile 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lil,

?Nothing in the world wrong with being afraid.  I'm a huge chicken.  Monday, January 9th, I have surgery to take out 2 screws.  I'm scared too.  Anyway, I wish you the best!  :-)

Beth

• Posted

Good luck!

And yeah, I guess there's nothing wrong with being afraid...it's just weird, because like I said, when I had this done (well, similar procedure not the exact same) when I was a teenager, I had absolutely no doubts or fears. I was like "let's do this, yeah, woooo!!!" lol. It was my mom who was worried. I think that also might have something to do with it...I know what to expect, and it sucks. Big time...and I feel like I'm gonna be a big baby.

• Posted

Thats Nothin to be nervous about its a simple procedure u will be in pain the first day Thats all..I was on crutches for 3 days and started walkin its so much better then having the plates in ...GO LUCK YOU GOT THIS
    • Posted

It's nothing to be worried about u will get through it..YOU YOUNG U GOT THIS JUST PRAY ABOUT IT IM 26 Well

.GOODLUCK

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation except mine is hanging by a thread. I'm torn whether or not to have the surgery. I've heard it's awful to recover from and some people still have pain 8 months later.

• Posted

I would, without a doubt, 100% get the surgery! Yeah, recovery sucks, but it's better than living through the kind of pain I know you must be in.

• Posted

So you telling that surgery would do the miracle, and solve the problem... Well I’m sure against this ultra optimistic view.

The problem is people try so much to get rid of the little discomforts they have and unfortunately they end up in a more complex situation down the road... It’s so sad...

I would say never ever hurry for a surgery, FIRST test your abilities, Check if you can run with no worry, Check if in which situation you would have pain, Trust yourself, the surgery is necessary only and if only after one year you still unable to run with no worry and with complete trust in your foot. But if you have test your abilities for one year and you still think there is a problem in your foot then go for surgery and stuff like that.

• Posted

I'm not saying it's a miracle, just saying having been in the exact same situation, and surgery was the right answer for me, so I would suggest it because it gave me my life back, and I'm hoping it does the same this time as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.