Light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, am 30 years old & have finally got a diagnosis of Graves & starting a course of Carbimazole 40mg. I've just stumbed across this forum which has been so helpful.

I've had many symptoms of the disease for several years, but it's only since I started shaking and getting breathless 6 months ago that the docs tested for thyroid function. Although even then was told it was probably just anxiety (grrrrrr I mental health professional & I KNOW what IS anxiety and what is not!!!).

Reading about other people's experiences has been very reassuring, as there are so many little bits & pieces to this disease, that I'm never sure what's because of Graves and what's not. E.g. I've been itching like crazy & put it down to the washing powder...now I read other people have had that too.

Am still very frightened about where this will all lead. I've had my prescription for a couple of days now & havent yet dared to start it! Will I get fat? Will it work? Will I have side effects. So many questions.

Anyway, hope to pop back again soon to this brilliant forum!

MM

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I started the drug on 30th May, the difference is amazing. More concentration, better eyesight. the insane scrathing has stopped. the tiredness has dissapeared. I've had no life for last 4 year. I'm bouncing off walls now, doing lots so I don't see weight being a prob. I'm more active than ever.
  • Posted

Don't be scared to start on your medication, things can only get better in my experience. i did find i put on a bit of weight as my hormones levelled out but i lost loads when i was diagnosed 15 months ago and i found that the weight gain was more than likely just me returning to my natural weight as my thyroid improved. many of my side effects were similar to yours, i have mentioned them in the messge i have just posted (entitled over active thyroid and worried about my periods - pls help!)

take care and make sure you start taking your medication! it helps i promise!

tayla

• Posted

Hi there,

I got a diagnosis of Graves disease this week. I'm 31. So we have a lot in common!

From what I've read, the damage caused by hyperthyroidism is pretty serious so the sooner you can stop it the better - so start taking the medication! Y

ou posted a while ago so presume you have.

I started on Carbimazole yesterday. Just look out for ulcers, persistant sore throat etc as it could be a sign that the medication is affecting your bone marrow. But I understand that's quite rare. I'm waiting for my endocrine appointment.

Sasha.

• Posted

sad I juxt came across this forum whilst doing a search on My recent diagnosis - Graves disease and the start of Carbimazole over last last 8 days. I have been dragging myself around literally for the past couple of months but when the hand tremors and aching muscles in my legs took over, it was time to go see my GP. I have never felt so poorly for so long. It has been a daunting time but a welcomed diagnosis ( as I thought I was looking it!!!) as I now know that I WILL get better and life will be worth living again soon. Doeds anyone know exactly how long that is going to take?I am taking 40 mg Carbimazole daily for past 8 days.
  • Posted

I must say that Carbimazole is fantastic, please do not hesitate to take it. :D It will improve your eyesight (words stop jumping around the page), your concentration will improve and you will suddenly feel that everything has gone very quiet inside your head, the buzz will stop. It can take a couple of weeks to kick in but when it does will you know it. I have been on it for 8 years and have had no nasty side effects. I am now about to come off it and will be taking the radioactive iodine therapy which will probably make me underactive and have to take thyroxine for the rest of my life.
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on carbimazole for the last 10 weeks or so and been diagnosed with Graves' disease. I didn't realise how unwell I was until about two weeks ago when I finally felt 'normal' again. Symptoms had come on gradually and once I started on cbz I expected to feel better straight away - very impatient! Still, keep taking the tablets even if you don't feel better for a few weeks, it will be worth the wait! Started on 40 mg daily, now on 20 mg daily and waiting for tft results as I'd become a little underactive. Yes I put most of the weight I lost back on but that's due to the thyroid getting better and I've started exercising again, all in all it's great to be back to normal!
  • Posted

I;m 50 yrs old, Ive been diagnosed with overactive thyroid 3 weeks ago. I registered with a new doctor last May, had blood test and they keep calling me to find out if I'm ok. I ignored their phonecalls since im always working and had no time to go to the doctors. I had tremors and palpitaions, i get out of breath and i thought something is wrong with my heart because it's just beats too fast. deep inside, i knew something is wrong with me.

If my legs wasn't aching badly, i wouldn't have gone to see the doctors. Ive been on 40 mg of carbimazole and 30mg of propranolol for 3 weeks now. Im itching like mad, still have pains in my legs and hair loss. I've been given antihistamine tablet and i have been taking it for 4 days now but the itch is still there. When will it go?? It's driving me mad!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.