Light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's 23rd July and my shingles was diagnosed by the GP on 25 April.Luckily,he gave me 7 days of antiviral (Aciclovir-the nhs ,or the gp doesn't run to the more expensive antivirals-but to be fair,I don't pay for doctors,hospitals or medicines.)

I have never sworn so much in my life.The pain had me writhing in my chair.I was given Gabapentin and opiod patch and Tramadol.There were few very tiny blisters,and a red patch where the pain emanated from.It wrapped itself around my torso from the mid-spine ,following the bra line under my armpit,to midpoint on my chest,including all my left breast area.It is without doubt the most painful thing I've felt.

I found great help,knowledge and compassion from this forum-especially from Merry in the USA ,who  calmed me down,stopped me panicking and gave great advice-including taking L-Lysine as well as the newer drugs.I started Pregabalin (Lyrica) a couple of weeks ago and it was the start of the pain becoming less.The L-Lysine helped.Today,I'm free of pain,and left with itching,which I'm trying(and sometimes failing) not to scratch .It's simply wonderful not to have the awful pain.Thank you to everybody who has posted positive and encouraging information on this forum.You'll please forgive me if I say I do hope that I won't need to come here again.  :-)

Bless all of you going through this right now.If I can help in any way,I will.

X Beth

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Beth,

I am so glad you are better. Please still rest and take care of yourself. Continue the high Lysine low Arginine diet and Lysine supplements.

Sometimes, Solarcaine with aloe helps numb the itching.

I appreciate more than you know, your updating us on your improvement. It is indeed encouragement to the rest of us.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much Merry.You have helped me tremendously-and many others.I will keep taking it easy and following the high L-Lysine diet.Interestingly,I ended up in hospital once because of peanuts.I thought it was because of the high fat content,but maybe not?Peanuts have high Arginine levels don't they?I'll get some solarcaine with aloe.Although just to be free of the pain is bliss enough.But my best friend looked at my back last week and said I was bruising my skin by scratching it...

I know I've been buoyed up by other peoples ' positive posts,and I felt it was important for me to do it too.

X Beth

• Posted

Beth,

Peanuts are high in Arginine! They were precipitating my excruciating lancinating painful frequent episodes. Shoe lady wrote about the Arginine diet trigger initially, for whom I am indebted.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

What a drag,Merry !- and I love peanuts.And thank you to Shoe Lady for the details about the L-Lysine/Arginine diet.

X Beth

• Posted

Thanks for the response.  I've had shingles twice before, but I really think this may be in my mouth, this time.  It isn't a large area (back on my gums in the back of my mouth on one side) but the pain continues and it follows the trigeminal nerve.  I don't know who to see, because on the surface it doesn't seem like a big deal - but I've had pain for two months.  My shingles was on my torso in the past.  It is horrible, but did run its course and go away.  Once I'm better, I'm going for the vaccine.

• Posted

Beth,

As it is on your trigeminal nerve, I would see a neurologist ASAP. If you are still having the lancinating or burning pain, the neurologist can prescribe a specific medication that targets pain on the triennial nerve, Tegretol. Interestingly, tegretol works well for triennial nerve pain. In any case, as you still are suffering, I would seek the help of a neurologist pronto. Perhaps your internist can prescribe the tegretol for you until you see the neurologist. It usually needs to be tapered up.

I hope this helps you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

In your mouth-that sounds horrible.I feel for you.My daughter has trigeminal neuralgia,and I think it was from exposure to chicken pox (my best friends grand-daughter had it and we met coming out of the GP's surgery.)I think you're right,going for the vaccine-i believe it's a new improved version.Have you seen a neurologist? We're in the UK and went to The Walton Centre in Liverpool.Daughter had an MRI scan which confirmed a blood vessel was looped around her Trigeminal nerve.Doc there said "If Tegretol and Gabapentin are working,then I don't really want to operate to put a silicon patch between the nerve and vessel,or to do any other more invasive procedure".

X Beth

• Posted

Thanks Beth, your entry makes sense to me.  I feel slightly better today and the bubble/blister area on my gum seems to be down slightly, too.  Hopefully, I'm on the mend.  I put off a root canal due to this other issue, but the root canal didn't seem to need immediate attention since the tooth is fine x-ray wise, just losing sensation to cold.  Again, thanks for you help.  It is good to have this forum since I think my family is getting a bit tired of hearing about my mouth issues.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.