Light boxes for Seasonal Affective Disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting a light box as autumn approaches as I always go downhill with the lack of light in the colder/darker days. The CFS symptoms always get worse in the winter and I'm hoping that a light box might help me get through this difficult season more easily. Can anyone recommend one that's not too expensive and if anyone has used one, has it helped? Thanks. Mary ​

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, biggrin

I've got one and it's amazing! I got it in ebay and it's an LED one because I don't trust the fluroscent type ones with my eyes. I just had a look to see if mine's there but I could see one. The price is lower for a lot of them now then when I bought mine.

I'm not using it at the moment because I'm taking St John's Wort and it's best not to get too much light with that for some people. But when I do use it it feels so good; I even get tingly type feelings down my spine and I feel a lot lighter, happier and I have a bit more energy.

I had to do an assignment involving assessing a research study on them. I'd thought about getting one for quite a while and it was the study that convinced me. The one in the study was an LED one I think I recall.

I highly recommed light therapy and wish you all the best with it! razz

• Posted

Hey Georgia! How are you? Thanks for your suggestion. I've seen one on Amazon for £38, brand new but cheaper because the box is damaged. It has good reviews too. I'll check whether it's LED or not.

How's the book doing? I submitted a couple of contributions a while back but have had a busy time with my grandchildren over the last couple of months, which has been lovely but tiring! 

• Posted

Hi Mary, I haven't been getting on with the book at all. I just haven't had the energy. I always feel worse in warmer weather and I've been reading a lot for my next OU module in October. 

I don't want to force myself but perhaps I'll feel up to it again eventually. It's still there and I knew it couldn't be done fast. Thanks for the contributions. razz

Great that you've been enjoying your grandchildren. Does it take your mind off being ill being with them?

• Posted

Hi Georgia

It's funny, but I'm so much better in warmer weather, but worse in the autumn and winter months; my mood and energy levels plummet, hence my wanting to get a light box! It does take my mind off myself having the grandchildren. It's trying to get the balance of not overdoing things though. On the one hand they are a great distraction and I seem to get quite energised when with them, but then the dreaded 'crash' comes a day or two after! I'v read that adrenaline kicks in at the time and gives you the energy, but once you have spent that energy, you pay for it. Enjoy in haste, and repent at leisure!

• Posted

PS: Sorry you havent been feeling so good of late; I hope the cooler weather is suiting you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.