Light headed

Posted , 4 users are following.

So Iv been suffering from anxiety for a while now, and my depersonalisation has become so bad recently. I'm on holiday in Spain at the moment with family, I arrived today been feeling on edge all day but Iv suddenly become very light headed and my vision seems different. Basically just came on here for some reassurance. Feeling very out of my comfort zone as haven't been away before and felt this way, don't wanna start feeling out of control whist on holiday as there's nothing I can do out heresad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Niamh

​Do you have any diagnosed anxiety/ depression if so what meds/dosage and when did you start them ???

• Posted

Yes been diagnosed with both, I take St. John's wort at the moment but did get prescribed anti depressants (citalopram)10mg. However I am very scared about taking them so haven't yet. Started taking the st John's wort about 10 days ago
    • Posted

DO NOT take an anti depressant whilst taking citalopram without consulting a Dr. They both essentialy do the same thing on your GABA receptors and increase serotonin production. The depersonalization is proof that the St John's wart is already in your system. Try reading something anything even the back of a shampoo bottle (yes i've done that myself) Reading activates different parts of your brain. In other words it gives it something else to concentrate on. Let your family know that if you seem a bit off, to just act normal. this is important because if people start asking you if your ok (this is called external validation) which tells your brain that if someone can see something is wrong with me then there MUST be something wrong and will make it worse. Don't talk to yourself about anxiety that's the quickest way to send those thoughts flying. Why? because your concentrating on the anxiety. Try the reading, it really does work. Nothing involving health or medications, think magizine or book or a shampoo bottle. Citalopram is a well researched drug and a very stable anti D but Do not take whilst taking St John's wart.

Antidepressants -- St. John's wort may interact with medications used to treat depression or other mood disorders, including tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). Taking St. John's wort with these medications tends to increase side effects, and could potentially lead to a dangerous condition called serotonin syndrome. Do not take St. John's wort with other antidepressants, including:

SSRIs: Citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft)

Tricyclics: Amitriptyline (Elavil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil)

MAOIs: Phenelzine, (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate)

Nefazodone (Serzone)

• Posted

I wouldn't take them both at the same time as I know what can happen, how long would I have to wait if I stopped taking the st John's wort to move on to the anti depressants? Thank you for you're help! Its reassured me a lot
    • Posted

That's a question for your Dr, but more than likely they'll say 2 weeks which is the NHS standard in the UK. Enjoy the rest of your holiday keep taking the saint johns like you have been. When you feel that "is this a dream " sensation read something, and make an appoinment to see your Dr soon as poss. I do have to stress I'm not a Dr but was a med student who happens to suffer from GAD and depression. Keeping busy helps alot also. Glad you feel reassured, don't give it (Anxiety) a 2nd thought.
  • Posted

Hi, I often feel light headed and funny vision when my anxiety spikes. It's easier said than done but try to relax, tell yourself it's just my anxiety making me feel this way.  You have just been on a plane and travelling that can make you feel a bit off. Have you tried the different breathing techniques e.g. in for relax and out for letting go. If you still feel unwell tell someone in your family, talking helps.Good luck. Hope you can relax and enjoy your holiday.cheesygrin 
    • Posted

I feel like some of its passed now, and I'm feeling abit better. I'm with my mum and she knows what's going on so I will talk to her! Thank you for the support!smile
  • Posted

No problem at all. It really is good to share. Take care and hopefully you will have a fantstic holiday.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Aww ur gonna be ok 😊 those are the symptoms I get when really anxious. I get worse on holiday but think it's because I'm not familiar with anything and I'm out of my comfort zone. Trust me, u'll be fine it's just that old anxiety telling u it's trying to spoil ur holiday. Hope u can relax and enjoy 😊
    • Posted

Ooh and have u checked about taking St Johns Wort with new meds as I know u have to be careful with it as far as other meds go?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.