Light-headed, dizzy & spaced out for 2 years, can anyone help?

Posted , 110 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm hoping / praying someone can shed some light on my extremely frustrating & somewhat debilitating symtoms. Aprox two years ago I started to feel a little light headed, I was working in retail at the time and the shop was incredibly busy (I have always worked in sales, so this did not phase me, what did cause me concern was how light headed I had been feeling) At the time, I presumed it was just a side effect from citalopram - something I had been prescribed six months earlier for feeling a little low. I did think it was strange that I felt woozy and light headed six months into the course as I had only previously experienced this feeling at the very beginning. I mentioned it to my doc and they agreed if i felt ready i should taper off citalopram - so i did. Slowly but surely i reduced my dose and presumed the light headed, dizzy almost drunk feeling would disappear - much to my surprise, i am still in the same state - blurred vision, wobbly, floaty and very very dizzy.

I have been to see my GP numerous times - my iron & bloody sugar levels, thyroid have been tested. They even sent me for an MRI scan and it all came back clear. My blood pressure is a little low but nothing too alarming and the ENT doctor said they couldn't find any inner ear problems (which I kind of thought would be the case because it's not a spinning sensation that you might expect from say labyrinthitis, it's more of a constant faint feeling) 

It is a nightmare crossing the road or entering a busy supermarket. I am no longer quick on my feet and my memory is very poor too. I feel dazed and confused a lot of the time and extremely tired.

I'm only 31 and have a real love for life - can anyone suggest what could possibly be happening to me? I would be incredibly grateful as this god awful 'whatever it is' is really taking it's toll on my work, my relationship with my partner, friends and family (more so because there is no diagnosis as yet so I feel like people don't really understand what is actually wrong with me) every day I pray that this has just been a nightmare and I will wake up and feel normal again.

Look forward to your feedback...

5 likes, 227 replies

227 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Debs,

I have a similar thing, for about three years. I feel dizzy and sick for sometimes weeks at a time. I feel confused at times and can't follow things, like the story line on the TV. I feel like my head is in a storm at times and sometimes say the wrong word to what I meant. I also have noticed I am very dizzy when in supermarkets, I thought perhaps this is due to not natural light, or the sanning for food and walking about.

I have had various tests and an mri scan on my brain - everthing has come back clear- it actually seems to get worse the healthier I eat, but I do not think food has any correlation.

My consultant put it down to miagraines where he said the headache is not always neccesary. However, although being a sufferer of miagraines for years and I see the correlation I am not convinced it can be this solely. He prescribed me tablets but I came off them in the end as after six months I notcied no difference.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat. I really hope this group sheds answers (for all our sakes) the more info we gather, the better! I feel like I'm learning all the time, process of elimination i guess. Years can go past though so I'm hoping to get an answer this year (I'm determined) 

With regards to mixing up your words - I totally get it, my memory is totally foggy, i truly believe it's because all of our energy and focus is on our balance?? Even when I try to pop it to the back of my mind, it's there slapping me in the face. 

Just out of interest, have you been tested for food alergies? Also have you had your breathing assesed? 

There is also a thing called POTS syndrome - check it out, you just never know! 

All i know is i feel really trippy and spaced and the ground underneath my feet can feel a bit spongy (if that makes sense) My vision is off too, even though eye tests are coming back clear.

Whatever caused it - I hope can be corrected! I live in Edinburgh and want to enjoy the festival this year!! Haha   

• Posted

Hi ladies ,if up on FB ,keep an eye on the health shares ,come up with things to try for various things  I keep look out for the balance one to come up ,seen one on sinuses today. Always share any of them ,may help someone out there .Than taking these dr meds .your timeline shares a lot of good info ,to pass on .
    • Posted

My friends local do it to ,I was looking up on Glutten today ,surprised me symptoms to that ,Virtigo and few others ,now that's been said to me several times in the past especially as my eczema has been so bad ,plus my anxiety has been around same length of time ,never left ,never had that prior to an illness .All this has began since .So Glutten ? And all my aches I'd not had prior .? go look up Gutten ladies .I was thinking menopause back now I'm even questioning that today after the Glutten read .
    • Posted

Thank you Debs, yes I think it will be a process of elimination as a lot of disorders seem to have dizziness as a symptom!

I have looked at POTS syndrome - thank you for that- I have the symptoms but I have not notcied anything wrong with my heart, or feeling worse when standing up. I have most of the symptoms of ME, but think this is hard to get diagnosed.I have not been back to the GP yet.

I have nagged many GPs for allergy testing, where I was referred when I was a teenager but did not get them as they said I had asthma instead (only to discover two years later there was nothing wrong with my lungs so was just discharged). I am wondering why you ask if my breathing has been checked as I get out of breath just walking up the stairs (I am of a heathy weight and 28 years old), but I hadn't really thought about this until now.

I would describe the ground as feeling a bit spongy as well and I think my eyesight is poor even though I have had various eye tests and the result is okay.

I find it hard to describe how I feel - I feel so ill most of the time, where I can only describe it as dizzy, tired, sick and confused -my mind feels energetic, but my body won't respond! But I think perhaps it is just so tiring in feeling dizzy??

It is nice in a way to see others have the same symptoms, as I don't get any understanding from others!

I wish you luck in finding out what it is and hope you have a good time at the festival!

• Posted

celiac disease can indeed make you feel woozy and out of sync! I thought I had it (again I was / am looking into EVERYTHING that makes you feel lightheaded, dizzy etc) anyway my tests came back clear HOWEVER my friend did say he had to go back again and demand another test, his results came back positive the second time round!!! 

Another reason for feeling the way we all se to feeling is lack of oxygen to the brain - this can be caused by chronic hyperventalation ie over breathing. This could be a behavioural pattern that has developed through time?! Just throwing ideas out there...I'm obv not a Doc but the more info we share the more informed we all will be! 

• Posted

Does make you wonder ? We've all got these symptoms ,non of us getting anywhere ,going continually around in circles .

I know several who had Neg results ,still complaining same problems ,hey 2 years on further testing yes they have it .So you've got to keep asking ,why are we still having problems .I don't have breathing probs ,yes I see what your saying ,better than doing nothing ,

maybe a private full allergy is what's needed .get at least an idea what your up against ,then make changes ,see if improvement .

Talking about Gluten ,only tonight there was a programme on talking about Gluten how odd was that  called Food unwrapped Ch 4 .I find these days white bread is a no go ,plus I can't eat tomatoes ,tinned ones I'm fine ,but not fresh ,so I have had to shift my foods around ,never had to do that prior ,why out of the blue ? Keep at it ,Debs .got to be a common denominator out there ,that's doing it .

• Posted

Hi Laura

I have been dizzy now for over two years.  Ive had all the tests and scans and was scared I had MS.  After a panic attack I finally got to see a neurologist having seen many ENT, neuro surgeons and now neurologists.  He diagnosed me with silent migraine.  He says I have classic symptoms and is trying different medications.  I paid privately to go to migraine clinic in harley st london and they explained it to me.  When you screw your face up you use your corrugator muscle.  This irritates the big nerve that runs thru your face, sinuses, back of eyes, forehead, top of head and round back of head and neck.  This is then inflamed and whichever part of the brain is involved, hence the symptoms which are slightly different for everyone.  We paid for botox which freezes the muscle and lets the nerve relax and heal.  This stopped all the eye jumping symptoms and bad heads but never stopped the dizziness.  I am now waiting for more botox on the NHS.  I have to try three lots of tablets which dont work before they will do it.  Im on my 5th as some I couldnt tolerate.  Overall some have helped but I want to be cured.  I totally believe the diagnosis now its been explained but that doesnt help my lack of social life and this sodding roundabout that I just want to get off.  My neurologist believes it will stop its just a matter of finding the right tablets for me and there are loads to chose from.  Up to now Ive had propanolol, nortriptylene, topiramate, duloxetine, zonisamide plus all the over the counter stuff you can buy. The duloxetine and nortriptylene helped the most.  Mind really foggy though and Ive got an interview.  I know I wont be able to conjugate a sentence. 

• Posted

Hi Marlene,

Well it's def something that is there every day but gets worse when excited / stressed / lots of visuals / tight spaces / busy spaces. Again this only started aprox 2.5 years ago, wracking my brain big time! 

Do you feel the same way most of the day or does it ever come and go? 

• Posted

Debs I've had it every day ,never stops every waking hour  3 years now ,but a year ago it seems to have gotten far worse ,only time I don't notice it is when I drive ,same as Anne on this site. ,concentration I think ,weird no explanation other than to concentrate . I'm swaying / rocking as I walk ,when I'm sat ,it's still here .

Stress had that since I got illness/ virus ,then my tinnitus got louder ,and allergies began ,more stress after virus finally left after 4 months of that ,but a mess left in its wake .

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Thanks for that info it makes more sense. I saw a very nice ENT consultant who said it was miagraines and I felt reassured at the time as saw the similarities, having suffered with I what I knew as miagraines since I was eleven and he told me they evolve so to speak over time, but I had become less convinced due the almost permanent basis that I can feel dizzy, but you have made it make sense to me again as if it is everytime I screw up my face... that would be a lot of times!

I am hoping my GP can do more for me and give me some tablets that work, although I am not keen on taking tablets for the rest of my life,  especially as I got some side effects with the last lot.

I still want to rule out ME and a food allergy.

I hope you find something that eradicates them for you! And good luck with the interview! Try positive thoughts as one thing I do know about miagraines. .. the more stressed the more ill!

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Back yesterday from Maritime Medway Hospital in Gillingham Kent having spent the best part of a day at the balance centre there.

I can highly recommend a referal to this place. They treat you as a whole person and not just someone with a condition, so as well at looking what is phyically going on they look at the effects of your condition on phychological state as well.

I saw the physiotherapist who gave me the I guess usual vestibular excersises to do, as well as eye movements to help the oscillosia. It was recommended to me to use a hiking stick rather than a walking stick for stability and also to get a balance pad, which you stand on. Its a bit of a challenge but with practice can improve balance. You can get them from amazon about £20.

They got me walking down the hospital corridors holding onto someones little finger proving to me my body can actually cope and balance even thoufgh the vestibular system is damaged. This was a huge positive step for me as I have been hanging onto someone for months.

After months of no joy and being passed from pillar to post by ENT seeing the neuro otologist for diagnosis, and visiting the balance centre, I feel I am on the right track fingers crossed.

Jan

• Posted

Well that sounds great Jan.  good to hear they treat you as a whole person, not a condition!!  not sure what the 'usual' vestibular exercises you mean.  the ones where you look from left to right, up and down?  Those ones?  The pad sounds good and I know someone else on here got a wii thing, but will wait for my appointment next week to ask about all that.  Keep,I. Touch and let us know how you progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.