Light in the tunnel

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wanted to share some positivity...

life with PTSD is a lot of the time very very challenging but sometimes we have to get strong and make strong decisions that are the best for us and for our future. 

Back in 2002 I had my third bout of post natal depression complicated by OCD, Body Dismorphia and PTSD.....I was under section at out local psychiatric unit and a lovely psychiatrist ether told me I could beat it if I wanted to and I must try harder to be a good mum for my children. I stayed in there for 17 weeks and after that I was discharged back to my home with 2 very young children and a husband that worked 12 hrs or more each day so I was pretty much alone all day with them, I had no follow up support or anyone to check on me other than my gp.

one day I went to my gp for some support and this made all the difference to my future....his words were " don't worry about being normal, about trying to do anything in life other than be a mum that's all you need to do, that's what's important" I asked him about going back to work someday...he replied whilst laughing oh no my dear that's not for you " !!! 

So long story short it annoyed me that my life was just to be a mum, not have a future, not to even bother making a life for me after the children as I wasn't capable of that as I was a mental health patient who could just stay on benefits and not aspire to be anything.

well I decided 3 days after getting out of hospital to go and get a job and prove that I could do it ! Two fingers up to the system  !!! 

I am still working and I am still a mum, and yes I am still a person who struggles with mental health but I have found the light at the end of the tunnel and am still walking towards it.

if this only inspires 1 person it's worth it

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

then you are brave and strong minded, i hope this continues, awesome for sharing smile i wud advice to not over do it, an really enjoy ur days of for relaxing, as u fully deserve it,
    • Posted

thank you, I do make sure I enjoy my relaxing time and time with my girls who are now 18 & 13... I survived as a mum and an employee.

My job ( which I love ) is in mental health so helping others each day is my inspiration.

• Posted

wow, lately i have met many ppl within the mental health profession, and they have all been sincerly awesome, i feel other ppl shud open up more, so they can be assessd more accuratly n given the support they need, i started mumbling, n lettin known little things, but as the years have passed by ive open up a lot more, n i cant stop lol
  • Posted

Good for you I did try and stick two fingers up to the system and returned to work, even with support from my work colleagues I ended up in psychiatric hospital. I'm still off work and struggling but do want to return to my job but have got to understand my mental health first and be able to control it.

So I keep on trying to get out of my bottom less pit and find my light. X

• Posted

again wow, maybe i may follow suit, an help others with understanding of mental health issues, but as u mention first deal and control with my own
    • Posted

Tina,

it it really does take time and strength, I would never ever say to someone this is what you should do, as we all know what works for one person may be the worst thing for someone else. I did hear a really great quote though once.

it goes.....sometimes when looking for the light at the end of the tunnel it's important to be pro active and if it's not happening quick enough for you the stomp your way along that tunnel and switch the light on yourself.....

i do do hope that in my daily work I inspire people who know my story, know my life before and have seen my struggle but now see how I still battle but have a different set of tools to work with to keep me going.

my hope for you Tina is that you too will find wellness tools that work for you and that you will find the strength to do what you want to do and will also be able to stick your fingers up to a system that doesn't help us

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.