Light spots on forehead

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I've been exposed to sun in the last week or so, however an area on my forehead around the hairline and a patch slightly lower down is a different colour to the rest of my forehead. It isn't white but a lighter pinker shade to the brown forehead. I've read some articles, I'm not sure it's vitiligo so just wondering what else it could be. The lighter patches aren't itchy, scaley or any different to touch. 

Thanks for any advice 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like Tinea versicolour. these are lighter pink patches which occur on tanned skin. They are caused by a yeast which grows on everyones skin but sometimes go into overdrive in the sun.   They probably will disappear as your tan disappears and the cooler days arrive. However if they are really bothering you then try washing your forehead in a shampoo which contains selenium as the active ingredient.    Otherwise see your doctor who may prescribe antifungal drugs or ointment. 
    • Posted

Hi really appreciate your reply thank you. I'm concerned as I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and it'll be hot. It's appeared from no where really so quite eager to get rid of it. Would it go on its own over time or is it something I'm stuck with until I treat it with the shampoo you mention or an ointment?

• Posted

Ideally, as you are off to a hot holiday I would see your GP and get some advice. I'm sure you dont want this spreading all over your face in the sun.

Wear a sun hat , and a high [30+] SPF on your face . Get a dandruff shampoo like Selsun and use a little on your forehead every day but dont rub it in,just smooth it on,;leave for 1 minute and shower off. you could use it on your hair in place of your normal shampoo and just extend it over your forehead. 

It usually fades in the cooler Winter months as your tan fades.

• Posted

Thanks seeing gp tomorrow 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.