Light streaks at 45 degrees months after cataract Right(OD) 0.25 -0.75 145 +2.5 Lesurgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

The length and width of the streak is dependent on the brightness and width of the light source -- in only the right eye.  Looking at a bright light bulb will provide a streak crossing most of my visual field (always at the same roughly 45-degree angle from upper right to lower left) exactly the width of the light bulb.  The streak is perfectly straight and seems to fade away at the far ends.  Opthalmologist just shrugs.  Optometrist suggested perhaps I'm seeing the edge of the implanted lens, but wouldn't that be curved?  I don't know the brand of the IOL, but it was toric with heavy astigmatism correction.  

Prescription before surgery:

R +1.50 -3.25   x100 

L +4.50 -3.75   x077

After surgery:

R       0.25    -0.75   145 

L       0          -0.5      85

Different doctors may account for the difference in angle.

What might be causing these streaks and is it possible to get rid of them? 

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi,

i am wondering if your light streaks get resolved over time?

i am seeing similar 45 degree light streaks a month after my left eye surgery.

• Posted

They are usually caused by a wrinkle in the capsular bag. If you ever need YAG for PCO it would likely have the added benefit of fixing the streak.

• Posted

One doctor's opinion is that light reflecting off the square edge of a IOL is responsible, and the angle of the streak is due to the bone structure of the face allowing the eye to see the streak at that point. He thinks neuro-adaption may occur in 4 to 6 months, but suggests wearing glasses with thicker brow rims to block the light streak.

• Posted

neuroadapt means get used to it? or brain eliminates the streaks?

is it normal to see light rays coming off of a lighted source such as outside a window during daytime?

• Edited

It's called a Maddox Rod and again it's usually due to a posterior capsule wrinkle. A close slit light exam can spot a wrinkle if it exists. The bad news is it probably will not go away on it's own. The good news is that if it is a wrinkle, YAG laser will fix it. Although I would not recommend going for YAG unless you also have PCO which is affecting your vision.

• Posted

Probably means getting used to it.

I don't believe streaks as described in the post are 'normal' but sunshine in general or glare from reflection of light on surfaces can be.

I wear sunglasses outside or while driving on a sunny or overcast day. In the morning with sunlight reflections off the water behind my home coming in through the partially closed blinds, I'll drape a scarf over my head to block it, as I sit at my computer with the window to my left.

• Edited

I've had tinnitus for 25 years and when tinnitus people talk about neuroadaptation they mean that your brain tunes it out. But the second you think about it though, you hear it again. So it doesn't go away, you just stop listening to it. Like I can't remember the last time I noticed my tinnitus but just writing this paragraph, it's right back to what it's always been. And it will be "gone" again as soon as I move on to something else (or the next paragraph).

I'm not sure if the same is true for these vision issues or not. The question to ask some who has neuroadapted to halos for instance would be, are they essentially gone even when you consciously look for them? Or do you immediately notice them again, the same as ever, when you look for them?

• Posted

Do you use hearing aids? Hearing aids can help with tinnitus by simply amplifying background noise that can mask the brain generated noise. Some also add white noise of some kind to mask the tinnitus noise, but it is controversial whether that helps or not.

• Edited

No. But my Tinnitus is a total non-issue (although it certainly didn't seem like that for the first couple of years before I finally "learned" to stop listening to it). When I'm not thinking about it (which I never do now) it's functionally as if I don't have it at all. My brain completely ignores it.

• Posted

If you do get to the point of considering hearing aids here are a couple of tips. Costco sells top the line premium aids with their Kirkland name on them for about 1/3 the price that the name brand versions. They do free hearing tests and provide lifetime support with follow up services.

And my second learning is that one should not put off getting them. You get most of the benefit from a hearing aid when you still have significant natural hearing. I shot a lot of large caliber guns in my teen and later years that damaged the hearing in my left ear (closer to the muzzle). I thought at some point when I needed hearing aids I would only need one of them because I could still hear really well in my right ear. What I found out once I got a hearing test and was fitted for aids was that my left ear was almost unrecoverable. But, my right ear is helped a lot with hearing aids. If there was a hearing aid I could do without it would be the one in my left ear. It really does not help much at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.