Lighthead & Dizzy for 2 months now

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. I'm 33 years old and for the past couple of months I've been dealing with crippling lightheadedness and dizziness when standing. I don't know what to do. When I stand up I get light headed and feel unsteady on my feet. I have to hold on to the walls in my house while I'm trying to walk. The longer I stand the worse it feels, almost to the point to where I feel as I may pass out. My heart rate also increases quickly after standing. Just a simple walk from one room to the next is almost impossible some times. I also have a near constant headache and pain in my next on the right side. My right ear rings off and on but not every day. Also, my eyesight seems to get blurry or not super clear when I'm up for too long. It makes my eyes feel super heavy, like I want to go to sleep. 

I've had an MRI, 2 CT's, and a couple of X-rays done all of which have come back ok. I've had lots of labs drawn too. I'm currently working with my endocrinologist to get my TSH levels back to normal. I've been hypothyroid for a couple of years, but in July of this year my levels started going crazy putting me in to the hyperthyroid state. I recently went to an ENT doctor and he did a quick exam, (looked in to my ears, asked specifically about my light headed feelings, and had me to follow his finger with my eyes) he then said he recommended I start physical therapy because the crystals in my inner ear where out of place? Does this make sense to anyone? My first session isn't until the 28th of this month. I also have an appointment with a neurologist in January. This is causing me a lot of unwanted anxiety. 

I'm desperate for some relief! I need to get back to normal life. I'm a mother of 4 kids so I can't be in bed all day, which is usually where I've been spending my time. I can't even leave the house to do anything. I've become a recluse because of this and I hate it. 

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have the same symptoms us you since one year ago. I'm still waiting for MRI results. Takes me 9 months for a NET appoiment . Every day since one year ago I was feeling dizzy and my left ear rings every day especially in the night time. About the crystals which were out of the place, that is true. That crystals have direct connection with the brain. I done Eplye Monuvre which helps me with the dizziness. See Youtube abaut Eplye Monuvre. All the best for you and take care..!!!

• Posted

Great! Thanks so much for your input. How often do you have to do the manuever? My ENT said something about doing PT but didn't go in to specifics with me. I'll definitely look in to so I can be aware of what may happen.

• Posted

Problems with crystals in the inner ear canals cause vertigo, a spinning sensation.  I don't read that in what you have posted here.  Sounds to me that your Endocrinologist is on the right track.  Hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) may cause palpitations, shortness of breath, and lightheadedness. Hypothyroidism (too little thyroid hormone) may cause low blood pressure and a decreased heart rate leading to lightheadedness, weakness, lethargy, and chills.  

• Posted

I'm going to give the PT a shot. I don't think it could hurt. I've tried a couple of meds that supposed to help with vertigo but none of them helped. It's just frustrating, I guess, to go from perfectly normal to this with no warning and it seems to be lingering around with no signs of stopping. I'm only on week 2 of my new lower dose of thyroid meds. I was hoping to feel better by now with this dose, but I was told that it takes up to 6 weeks to show a difference in your lab work. Does that mean it'll take 6 weeks to feel a difference?

• Posted

I think that means that it takes 6 weeks for full effect.  You should start during that period to notice minor effects if it is working, I would think.  The physical therapist will help to determine if you have BPPV, floating crystals, and will help to address that with the Epley manuever if you do in fact have that.  Just reading your first post you did not mention room spinning, vertigo.  Do you have the room spinning symptoms of vertigo?  Doing and Epley on your own can be risky and may make things worse.  When you have a condition like this you will try most anything that you hope will help.   
    • Posted

I have the unbalanced feeling while I'm standing and it gets worse the longer I'm up. I get the spinning sensation once I sit or lay down. Sometimes when I'm up longer than a couple of minutes I will get a dizzy feeling and my eyes get kinda of weird, not really blurry, but unclear...if that makes sense. The only time I feel my best is when I'm lying down. 

• Posted

It makes sense.  The unclear vision could be a reslt of nystagmus, that is where the eyes cannot fixate on objects because the inner ear is telling the brain something different than what the eyes are attempting to see, and that may be what the ENT saw and why he/she referred you for PT.  If you experience room spinning it is most likely related to BPPV.  Are you in the US?
    • Posted

Yes, I'm here in the US. After he did the thing with his finger he immediately said he was sending me to PT.

• Posted

I would definitely have someone with me if the PT performs an Epley, just in case.  I know when I had one done it made things worse for the next hour or so and then they began to subside.  I truly hope that solves the issue for you.
    • Posted

Ok. Thanks. I'll make sure to take my husband with me. I'll keep everyone posted after I see them later this month. 

• Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many problems but my question to you is if you went to the ENT and he diagnosed you with the crystal issue which is called bppv why didn't he performing Epley maneuver in his office? It sounds like this is exactly what you have and aside from the other issues you have with your health the dizziness can be resolved with a simple maneuver. When I have episodes of bppv, which have been three times. After I have the Epley or do they half somersault at home I feel better within 2 days. That should relieve your dizziness and lightheadedness

• Posted

I'm not sure why he didn't do it. He referred me out the physical therapy department in the the hospital. I go to clinics at an Army hospital so anything other than regular appointments they generally refer you out to a specialty clinic. How many treatments of the Epley do you have before you start to feel better? I've been thinking of trying something at home, but I'm afraid I'll make things worse. He also said something about they would probably send me home with exercises I could do at home. 

• Posted

Usually you only have to do the Epley 1 time.  I now do the half-somersault maneuver at home and that one you have to do several times about 30 minutes apart. Just note that you will feel MUCH worse for about 36 hours after with either of these.  I find the half-somersault easier to do on my own.  You can google to see the video and steps to do tihs.
    • Posted

Ok. Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need help with my kids after my first appointment. My husband is in the military and isn't always able to take off work to help. 

• Posted

do you have any digestion issues ?  i have all the symptoms you mentioned but i have a non working gallbladder . what other symptoms you have ?
    • Posted

Yes, I do. Nothing official has been diagnosed, but I have a super sensitive stomach. I don't have a gallbladder. Mine was removed in 2013 following a trip to the er for severe stomach pains. I'm still having symptoms like you would if you were having a gallbladder attack, but after an MRI and ultrasounds they didn't find any stones. If you don't mind me asking, why haven't they taken your gallbladder out since it's not working?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.