Lightheaded and dizziness won't stop. Doctors don't know what's wrong. Looking for some hope!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm new to this sort of thing, but I'm getting really scared and don't know where to turn. Quick history: I'm a 28 yr old female, very active, graduate student, no major health problems. 11 year history of recurring dizziness that typically lasts about 4-6 months before slowly disappearing. Seems to get me every couple years or so, never been able to identify a trigger.

Last week I was sitting on my couch when suddenly my ear started ringing. This lasted a couple of hours and then all was fine. Next day I was getting ready for bed and suddenly became dizzy. It has not stopped since. Constant lightheaded feeling, sometimes it's almost like tunnel vision, or feeling like I'm drunk, and sometimes like my eyes can't "keep up" with my motion. It's rarely a true spinning sensation unless I bend over and stand up very quickly.

There is always a pressure in my right sinus areas, but no ear pain or mucus. Hearing is normal. I have been tested for every possible condition over the years and no one has ever figured it out.

I am so scared that each time this happens, I will be stuck like this forever. It's the worst feeling in the world. What if my brain just stops compensating? Anyone out there have any success stories? I've given up on anyone ever figuring out what it is. I think it is residual damage from a ruptured eardrum that I had as a child, and that in stressful times my brain decompensates, but that's just my own guess. I want my life back and I'd love to hear some succes stories where people recovered from this nightmare.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi - I have the same and mine is migraine associated vertigo or 'silent' migraine.  Instead of getting the headache part the brain stem hits the vestibular system with electricity and you get the dizziness plus some other weird symptoms.  There is a good site on FB called VESTIBULAR MIGRAINE you will get all the answers you need from there.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Paula will have a look for that one love and thanks
    • Posted

What do you do to treat this? Doctors suggested this is what I had years ago, but nothing has ever helped. I always just have to ride it out for months until it goes away. I'm scared that this time it's not going away and I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

All of these stories sound so horrible! I wish there was some kind of relief for us! I'm more depressed after reading everything than I was before. Every time I've had this, it has eventually faded away but my fear is that one day, it will stop fading away. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I can't bear the thought of being permanently dizzy. I don't think I could go on for long. Does anyone ever get any relief at all?

• Posted

Exercise as much as possible is all thsts helped me .. I'm not saying it's going to get you a 100% but you will feel better ..That's all I can say fella .. one love and chin up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.