Like minds

Posted , 6 users are following.

For what it is worth here is my opinion.

Sometimes our posts are serious and sometimes flippant or frivolous, but through them all runs a common thread.

We are all different ages and from different walks of life and different parts of the country and yet we share a common bond and, it seems, a similar sense of humour and approach to the condition we share. If we did not laugh at ourselves we would probably cry.

Unfortunately we are not lucky enough to be able to share a lot of information regarding treatments and medications because, quite simply, we don't have them. We control our condition by adjusting our lifestyle acordingly.

However, sharing our experiences and comparing our lifestyles and how we manage the condition is part of our coping mechanism. One very important coping mechanism for myself is this sense of sharing and belonging with like minded people in the same situation.

Humour is essential and it lifts up our spirits when they can be quite low.

I would just like to say to the moderators, thank you for this forum, it means a lot to all of us. Yes, we can be silly and seem flippant, but that is as important to us as treatments and medications are to members on some of the other forums.

If we did not let our hair down and laugh together sometimes, the day could drag interminably and be very wearisome. Socially some of us are very isolated and what we share on this forum constitutes our only social life.

Thank you for allowing us to give each other a lift.

And, as Forrest Gump once said, that's all I've got to say about that.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Alicia - you took the words out of my mouth - only you did it far better than I could have ever done. smile
  • Posted

Well said, this a the only place were we can air our thoughts and to be fully understood. :hug: Without this

I am sure we would end up :steam: or even :wah:

• Posted

As a newbee to this forum I want to say that you have put into words how I feel! I have been struggling to cope with the variety of symptoms but my sense of humour has helped me through.Glad to have found some like minded people! :P
  • Posted

Glad you are enjoying yourselves here and that it does help everyone out, even if it is just to rant.

Don't worry about being flippant - you do bring a smile to me, as I get to read them all.

Regards

Lin

Patient Admin smile

• Posted

Thanks Lin, some of us were a bit worried you might think we didn't take the forum seriously. :D
  • Posted

Hi Chimera

Welcome to the mad gang! :blush: :nahnah: :hug: :smooch: :silly: :puff: :monster:

Please could you tell us a little about your job and why sometimes the moderators remove our postings to be checked - even though they are not offensive but rather daft!

Are there any other "gangs" like us?

I do worry about us all but as mentioned this site offers many people who suffer from ME an oppertunity to feel understood with such a debilitating illness both emotionally and physically.

It's Katie whos that gang leader - Yeah she makes us type all the rudie dudie things. I just go along NOT :wink:

Joking aside we all look forward to your comments

Donna x

• Posted

Hi folks

A little bit about me, my real title is Office Manager (orderer of toilet rolls, coffee and the essentials :lol: ) Amongst a variety of other things, I am hugely involved with the Site Admin & Moderating of this, and our sister site, MoreWriting.

There are 2 reasons that a post can be removed for moderating, they are:

[b:2bc9c64f85]Automatically[/b:2bc9c64f85] - if you have posted an email address, a weblink or an image in the posting. We have put a 'trap' in place for these, we then either remove the address or weblink or approve/disapprove the image.

[b:2bc9c64f85]Moderator/Guest alert[/b:2bc9c64f85] - a post can be alerted to us, if they are considered to non-topic related, they have gone off-topic, they could be considered rude & offensive to other Patient Experience members. Don't forget we have a wide age audience here, we also unfortunately get people alerting posts just for something to do.

I think the reported posts you are talking about, were the electric shock ones over the weekend. We had a new Moderator join us and I think the poor woman wondered what she had come across. I approved them this morning as I knew that they were related to your conversation from last week but you can see how difficult it can be to monitor.

There certainly are other "gangs" like yours, for example, Disc Prolapse, Depression, Citalopram.

I hope that has answered some of your questions - anything else, just give me a shout.

Lin

Patient Admin

• Posted

thanks Lin, it's good to have your feedback so we understand each other. thank you for being supportive. :D
  • Posted

Hi Lin

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to Donna's last posting.

Apologies, too, to the new moderator who must have been quite taken aback reading about Marigold gloves and various other odd bits and pieces

(I seriously do keep a pair in my car though smile . Works a treat!

As we have all made very clear, we would be absolutely lost without this forum - it's certainly made a huge difference to me personally to have the chance to 'chat' to others in the same boat who understand completely where I am coming from. As Alicia mentioned earlier, it is a very isolating illness and it's very easy to become quite reclusive without actually realising, it due to the manner of the condition. The forum gives us a lifeline - somewhere where we can turn to (24 hours of the day) to ask for help and moral support - knowing that we will always receive a helpful, sympathetic reply and sometimes a funny one too. I honestly think I could become seriously depressed without it. sad

Keep up the good work!

Katie smile

• Posted

Hey Thanks Chimera! :D

I have a job like yours too! he he he he

Thanks for giving us a better understanding - we are often VERY sensitive people who are genuine law abiding citizens and worry if we are thought to be doing anything wrong :oops:

Here , here to all the other replies "go girlies and jay of course" :diva: :diva: :diva:

Thanks again

Donna x

p.s Do we ever make you laugh?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.