Limitations

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am trying to decide whether or not to get a total hip. My concerns are the limitaions I will have after surgery. I'm hoping to get the anterior procedure. I. Understand the retrictions right after surgery. What I want to know is what about 6 mths, a year afterwards. Can I never bend over, can I never cross my legs, can I never curl up on the couch with my feet under me. What about yoga? I'm ok not being able to do these things, I just need to know if they are life long don'ts. Thanks

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tony's op was on Friday and he was discharged today Sunday. His hospital performs 2600 hip ops a year and has the procedure down to a fine art so to speak. His golfing friend had the same op in January and is back to normal now playing golf.
  • Posted

Hi Carla, you seem very concerns about which approach is used but in my experience there are so many other variables that influence your recovery.  I had a UK normal THR in June and recovered amazingly well and feel so normal now.  I put this down to a couple of things- firstly I didn't have a lot of muscle wastage prior to the op because I had it within a few months of being told that I needed it (some people put it off for years and then take longer to recover). Secondly, my expectations were not that high so I was constantly pleasantly surprised by how well I was.  Last week I was at work and realised that I had not even mentioned my hip for several days, I was walking around a busy city normally, when someone down the corridor held a door for me I ran to the door so he wouldn't have to wait long, my AIDS and adaptations have been put up in the loft and I don't even carry a 'just-in-case' walking stick.  Husband and I had a lovely holiday a few weeks ago in Cyrpus and I walked, danced, swam, laid on sun lounger and rode a Segway for 2 hours 😀😀.  How's that for getting. Back to normal? That was all at 4 months.  Oh and I'm 63, not very fit and overweight. 

Just go go for it and enjoy the rest, be kind to yourself and do the gentle excersises that they give you.  

Healing. Hugs 

Lauta 

• Posted

Hi Carla 

What limitations are you concerned about?  The care that you need to take is all a simple part of the healing process.  You'll find most people saying that they can do more within a few months of surgery than they did prior to the surgery. I would say that I felt better and was able to do more by 3 to 4 months post surgery.  

If you can, have the surgery done while you are relatively well so that your recovery will be quicker. 

Good luck

Laura 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.