Limitations when having wpw?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if there are specific limitations to someone with wpw. specifically, could someone go diving for example? I notice that pressure on my diaphragm can cause me tachycardia, does that mean that it wouldn't be ok for me to go diving? what about if I go on high altitude, like a high mountain? also, can someone with this condition donate blood or peripheral blood stem cells? And my last question, are there any athletic activities that should be avoided, like running for too long or doing martial arts or anything similar?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

it depends how severe is ur wpw. i wouldnt be able to go diving, because like you pressure on my diaphram causes rapid geart beAT. As mountains i live in nevada which is pretty high alttitude and i do t feel a difference from when im in NEW york. Do you take meds? Have you have an ablation? im only asking so i can answer ur other questions?

• Posted

thanks for replying . Pressure on my diaphragm causes tachycardia on me too. I am not taking medication and I didn't have an ablation. If I am very careful (not too much caffeine or tea, not pressure on diaphragm) I get an episode every few months. If I am not careful every two weeks. Do you get episodes more often on high altitude?

• Posted

Hi Alex, when you say you have episodes, how long do they usually last? Ever since I was diagnosed with WPW I've become hyper focused on my body and I notice my heartbeat more than I ever did before. I notice a lot of unusual beats, but they only last for a few seconds then back to normal. though I've had long lasting tachycardia too, but that was when I was drinking more before I knew I had this s**t. I've had a few triggered by too much caffeine, but thankfully they've only lasted less than 30 seconds when I do the vagal maneuvers. Just curious how the episodes are for other people?

Thanks,

AJ

• Posted

I get these unusual beats too, they last seconds and they are a warning sign for me, if I don't relax my diaphragm I will get a full blown tachycardia which will last 1-3 minutes. But, like you, I am superfocused on any sign, so it usually doesn't get to that. the unusual beats are frequent for me, though, maybe four or five times a week. how about you?

• Posted

I get the unusual heart beats a few times daily. It's usually followed by a big clicking feeling in my heart at the end and then they go back to normal. This only usually last for a couple seconds. Always wonder if it's slowly damaging my heart, but the cardiologist didn't seem too concerned about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.