Limping after talus fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! 5 months ago I fractured my talus bone. Aligned and I wear a cast for 12 weeks. After removing cast did ct it showed partial healed talus body fracture and diffuse osteoporosis. My doctor said it takes a year to heal fully and try to walk. I am taking calcium d3  daily and Bisfosenat (alendronade acid)once a week. Now Iam walking with a lot of limp. My injuried ankle hurts while walking. But there is no pain in my talus bone. The pain is coming from lateral malleolus and whole ankle. What should I do in order to decrease limp? What about ankle brace? Give suggestions please.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi i broke my tib fibula and talus in April was in cast until 4 weeks ago then in air boot have started physio can walk short distances without air boot but limp massively today is the first day with out pain or swelling I think it's just a time thing the doctors have said it will take me 2 years to heal if I don't have to have my bones fused back together and it will be a bonus of I walk with out a limp I really hope Yr pain goes soon but think it is just a time thing with it x

• Posted

I broke my fibula at the ankle. I was only in a cast for 5 weeks, then a boot for 2, followed by a stiff brace for another 2. So my ankle wasn’t immobilized quite as long as yours. However, like you I’ve found that the pain as I began walking was in my ankle and not the broken bone. I believe this is from the damage to the ankle from having it immobilized for so long. It’s just a matter of getting it stretched back out. I’ve now been working on that for about a month. The more my ankle stretches and I get range of motion back the less it hurts and the more my limp goes away. I’m now at the point where my limp is gone most of the time and just returns when it’s been a long day. I still have a long way to go before I have my full range of motion back. There are still many movements that I catch that pain that I’ve come to recognize as just stretching in a direction is hasn’t gone yet. It’s a slow process however I was able to speed it up with some good stretches. I was lucky that my fiancé is quite experienced in having broken bones and he was able to give me some good stretches. With the right stretches and some determination I was able to jump ahead a bit and get things loosened back up enough to allow some good progress in only a week. Of course then I had to admit he was right 😉 It was just two stretches that loosened things up good for me. I’ll try to describe them however use at your own risk as I don’t know your limitations. First I put the ball of my foot on something elevated just a couple inches and my heel still on the ground. Then I leaned forward into the bend in my ankle (movement like you’re flexing your foot) you should feel the muscles stretching up the back of your leg. I did 10 at a time. Once the stretch hits the back of your knee you have that set of muscles all the way stretched (took me about 3 days to reach that point). The second stretch was to slowly raise up on my toes, hold, and then slowly lower. Stretches a whole different set of muscles. I did these in set of 30. Raise slowly, hold count to 5 lower slow. Count to 10. Repeat. On day two it’s hold 7 and rest 7. Day theee it’s hold 10 and rest 5. I did a set of the first stretch, then a set of the second stretch, then a set of the first. I did this morning and evening for 5 days. By the 5th my limp was gone and my movements were much more natural. I continue to stretch now but not as dedicated as those 5 days. I carefully evaluated my pain level as I did this. There are some kinda of pain you push through and some you don’t. I made sure the only pain I felt was the gentle pull of the muscles stretching and I backed off if I felt any other type of pain. I will warn you that I was told (and did experience) that I would have some cramping in the muscles after stretching. Almost like a Charlie horse feeling but less intense. Wasn’t too bad and I took it as proof I was making progress.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks for suggestion. You broke your fibula and it's not a weight bearing bone. But I broke my talus and it's a weight bearing bone and important in walking and running. I think it's a slow healing process and time game. There's no physical therapist in our country thats why it's difficult to find someone to help your limping. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.