Linda phipps

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had tota knee replacement a year ago, all fine. Now I'm in horrendous pain with other one. Had x ray shows mild defect but my doctor still wants inject it. I feel it might be cartilage. The pain is horrendous a my leg gives way continuously if I try to walk. Any suggestions appreciate d

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

X-ray...if inconclusive....MRI...if inconclusive (and lots are)...a scope.  Some docs try a temporary cortisone shot but that doesn't fix anything.  SynVisc is great (for some people) but only if the MRI is conclusive for strictly a bone-on-bone, arthritic condition with no accompanying damage.  I had this done four times (two each knee) and needed four scopes to fix the damage inside the knee each time.  A few years later, I started on SynVisc...worked great for years.  You just can't tell how this is going to work out until the diagnosis is definitive or if the doc has to go in to see what's wrong.

• Posted

Hi CHICO, sorry to but in but I’m not quite sure how to message you. I have still not called the Dr about my left knee, remember I am 5 months past rtkr and appointment is Steve for Feb. I knew from the outset my left knee would have to be done but I didn’t think this quickly. Fact is I’m scared. I’m having a terrible time with this one. Do you think I could have pulled a muscle from putting so much pressure on it for the last five months. Do you think a cortisone shot would work. I keep putting off calling I’m so upset, right before the holidays, this sucks
    • Posted

To private message, you click on someone's name and on the next screen, click "Message".

First, there is no "scared"...After your first TKR, there's NOTHING you can't conquer...period!!!  Second, it's a given that one favors the good leg over the one that's been operated on.  Throw out your hips/back and you get sciatica.  Overwork the good one and you get muscle pain.  Remember, you're changing your gait and that has an effect on your entire musculoskeletal system.  

If the pain is strictly in your knee, a cortisone shot could help.  On some people, like me, it doesn't.  Or is your pain radiating to your knee from somewhere else?  I have always found a chiropractor helpful...for decades.  Least invasive way to see if your pain is treatable.  If not, see your ortho.  Maybe some SynVisc (even a 6-month shot) could get you past #1 so you can be strong enough for #2.  You've got options...check them out.  PS: Use Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) on the aching knee...GREAT topical anti-inflammatory.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I will call Doc tomorrow. I got the GP to give me Diclofinac gel which he said is really Voltaren. I read some disturbing stuff in it. It’s got funky side effects have you ever experienced any of them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.