Linea Nigra-sign of PCOS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m not pregnant and have never been pregnant but I have linea nigra- the dark line from my umbilicus to my pubic bone.  I’m 20 years old. Ive been on an oral combo birth control pill for 5 years. I did some research and I’m also in nursing school so I am wondering if it is related to hormonal imbalances. Apparently it’s a sign of PCOS.  I’ve had pretty bad cystic acne for the last 4 months out of nowhere too.  Does anyone else also have this? I’m thinking about calling my OBGYN and asking for a hormone test or whatever they suggest. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The linea nigra is associated often with hormonal imbalances, but is no more a sign of PCOS than vomiting is of pregnancy. They can happen with one another, but more often than not, the symptoms have other causes. Hormonal birth control can also cause the development of a linea nigra. I have had mine for as long as I can remember, and was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago. Cystic acne is also not necessarily indicative of PCOS but just hormonal imbalances in general, though it is one of the more common symptoms. If you are displaying other symptoms of PCOS, such as more pain than normal during cycles (a little hard to tell if on birth control), fatigue, low energy, hirsutism, male pattern thinning of the hair, coarse body hair, mood changes, or sleep issues, then definitely go talk to a doctor. You don't necessarily need to see a gynecologist, though; typically, a GP is more than capable of making a diagnosis of PCOS. Whoever you're more comfortable with is probably best! If a doctor orders tests, it will likely be a testosterone battery, along with tests for DHEA-S, progesterone, FSH, and LH, though some of those results may not provide an accurate result if you're on the hormonal birth control. They may also order a transvaginal ultrasound for imaging of the ovaries. However, this is not necessary to make a diagnosis of PCOS because abnormal cysts may not be present while you're still presenting clinical signs of PCOS, and thus match enough diagnostic criteria.

Best of luck to you! If you happen to have any questions about PCOS, the diagnostic process, or just wonky ovaries in general, don't be afraid to send me a message. I'm happy to answer anything to the best of my ability. 

• Posted

I have PCOS and linea nigra, could be connected could be totally coincidental. Interesting though!

Im guessing you are in the US? what tests do they do to diagnose PCOS over there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.