Lingering pain 7 weeks after flare up

Posted , 2 users are following.

Still abnormal bowel movements and lingering, low grade pain/discomfort that comes and goes in my lower abdomen and oddly in my left or right side or back but no fever, diarrhea, blood in stool. My doctor did prescribe antispasmotic last week but wants a ct-scan and another course of flagyl and cipro due to lingering pain/discomfort.

Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have some lingering inflammation - but you're not showing the classic signs of infection ie fever.  Normally in the UK at this stage no more antibiotics would be prescribed - due to fear over antibiotic resistance developing and/or questions on whether it is infection or just inflammation (for which antibiotics would be totally useless).  It took 10 months before my lingering pain went. 

But you've got more antibiotics to knock out all the good and any lingering bad bacteria so it will make you feel lousy and play havoc with your bowels.  But if the CT Scan does show infection or other problems then it's the right treatment.  You can help yourself by getting a good probiotic (don't know what's available in the USA but there's plenty of posts on the forum).  Also stick to a mainly liquid and then low residue diet whilst on the pills.  It takes a long time and lot of patience to get over an attack.

• Posted

Sometimes I need 2 rounds of antibiotics but I would have constant pain and diarrhea. However this last flare  I have had pain left, right, across everyday. So it can last a long time! 

Be mindful of what you eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.