Link between post traumatic stress disorder and auto immune diseases + L S

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all - been to dermy today and not good news. LS spreading front to back and vaginal + urinary tracts causing a problem. I have now been taken off clob and put on 2 weeks of ciclosporin in order to reduce inflammation before I see a gyny. The dermy said that the gyny would not take action when I am so inflamed. The latter would probably go down the dilator route but the dermy said not to rule out surgery in the long run. My question is that I was caught up in the tsunami of 2004 in Sri Lanka in a big way and I was saved by a local - thank goodness. However, the shock to my system was massive and so does anybody know if there is a link between PTSD and auto immune diseases such as LS? I also have Barrat's oesophagus which is another auto immune disease and this could also be traced back some way. Any ideas folks? Thank you for reading thus far - not feeling good today.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am very sorry about your experience with the tsunami.  I remember watching that coverage on the news and it truley broke my heart. 

I know a lot of women on here believe there is a link with stress and sugar so I am going to say yes.   I am sure the stress of the situation added to the LS.  Again, I am no doctor but in my research I believe it does have a link to our immune system. 

Best of luck with your treatment.  If you have the time there is a lot of useful information on the forum to help cope with the LS. 

• Posted

Thank you Melissa0 for your kind words. On reflection it was not just the tsunami but the stress of my job from which I took early retirement 5 years ago- the bad memories of both live on! I will keep you posted when I know anything further but thank you again for reaching out to me X
  • Posted

I had several tramas, one right after the other. The LS took over after the last. When my anxiety roars so does my LS. So in my opinion there is definitely a link. Contrary to what I've read it is not a hormone issue alone. Too many young women have it. Women who still have hormones working.
  • Posted

Hi Barking.

So sorry to hear that you are in a bad spot at present and the trauma you have gone through in the past. Based on what I have read on the forum so far and my own personal experiences, I have to agree with Melissa that stress definitely plays a major role in LS/LP. Take heart though that this too shall pass. Please, if you can, try some of the advice that is given on this forum and see what works for you. Good luck with the treatment to get the inflammation under control and I pray that things will get better for you soon. We are here for you. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Barking. My heart goes out to you.... Having survived all that only to have to deal with this awful skin condition. It's true there is lots of help and tips on here and I rely on these posts to help me through especially on a bad day. I recently lost my husband to cancer and tend to agree that stress plays a major part in this. Very difficult to switch stress off but through trial and error advice given here and GP help it can be brought under control. Dilation has helped me too. Now down to Clob twice a week as maintenance pure coconut oil after every loo visit and sugar intake down to almost zero....

I wish you luck and determination to fight this

• Posted

In 1977 I got divorced, moved house and was on my own with a 2-year old.  I got psoriasis all over my body apart from my face.  Luckily it was winter and I could cover up.  GP gave me a coal tar based cream.  But after 6 months it all calmed down by itself, so skin problem definitely due to stress. 
  • Posted

Hi Barking,

I had a serious injury several years ago, and almost died.  Since then, I've been diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases: Fibromyalgia, Interstitial cystitis and most recently LS.  There's no doubt in my mind that stress and/or PTSD creates disease.

The challenge is to eliminate stress and be kind  to ourselves. Meditation plus visualization helps me.

Good luck to you,

Anna

• Posted

I just left Thailand a few days before the Tsunami hit. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with it and ongoing effets of it on you.

I do believe that stress have a big impact on LS. But I also believe that for some it can be hormonal. I say that because I've got an 11 month old daughter and it was after her birth that my LS reared it's ugly head - I'd been diagnosed several years prior but with very little emphasis on the seriousness of it and that it would be reoccuring. Anyway, I did have it somewhat controlled, but my daughter over the past few weeks has been in a growth spurt and on the boob all the time and I seem to be experiencing a flare up.

Sadly, from all that I've read, LS is a bit different for everyone, making it so difficult to simply treat.

• Posted

Barking, what an experience! But really, what is PTSD but extreme stress? We know for sure stress is connected to this sort of disorder. So the thing is what do you do next? Looking back, blaming, regretting – just adds more negative feelings. Look up mindfuless-based stress reduction. A doctor who worked with prisoners began it and now there are authors and teachers all over, helping stressed-out people get a handle on their emotions, relax and get their priorities straight. Absolute best thing you can do for your future. And make sure you eat very little sugar.
  • Posted

My alternative practitioner said right at the start of my visits to him that stress is a huge determinant of health. Whether putting foods into our body that don't don't agree with it, sucking in air pollution, or having emotional overload for whatever reason.

A couple of things that help me a lot with this issue (because I'm fairly high-strung to start with smile  are daily yoga and, recently, meditation.

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.