Links procedure for acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had this procedure as a less invasive procedure than Nissen fundoplication for repair of hiatus hernia . Has anyone had it on the N HS . Does it work -I understand that Dolly Parton has had it done in the States!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi jan.  Yes the procedure is called LINX

it's not very invasive I had it done on the nhs on June 17 and also had a HH repaired at the same time. I would never have the Nissen 

I'm like a new man. Is happily answer any questions on it 

• Posted

Which area does this procedure on the NHS -I don't think it's available on Merseyside . I am currently on 60mg Lanzoprazole per day to 'settle down ' my acid reflux ' but I also have Barretts oesophagus so don't know if this complicates things.are you now off ppi's altogether? 
    • Posted

Hi jan. I'm originally from liverpool but now live in devon. I was on the same meds as you but since I had LINX im off all meds and for the first time in 30 years I am reflux free and 100% "cured" ...... The problem is no surgeon will carry out LINX if you have barretts, the only option for you at the moment is nissen, a procedure I was offered but after much research I declined due to the implications
  • Posted

It's not for a HH repair its for reflux and gerd related disease. The hh is repaired as. Secondary. 
  • Posted

Go on Facebook to justpassingthrough he 

Talks about his LINX operation

• Posted

We also have a linx facebook page for those that have had it
  • Posted

Hi Jan54,

Results are "mixed"....perhaps more good than not so good...whats of value is if it doesn't work...it's possible it can be removed.

There are a few key components that dr's must address before a patient can qualify for LINX..  and long term use is yet "unknown"..it was studied for 4 years before the US FDA approved it in 2012.....

Here in the US, you much have a big pocketbook or a severe proven  untreatable GERD befor ins approval.......hope this helps...Claudio

• Posted

The results are excellent and yes ot can be reversed unlike the nissen
  • Posted

Hi Jan

I had NF 3 months ago (and HH fixed) and I am fine. Can eat OK etc. I wasn't eligible for Linx (perhaps it depends what NHS trust you are in) as it is a lot more expensive.

You must get an experienced surgeon though (which mine is).

I must admit I am getting a little fed up with some of the negative comments about NF especially if they have not had it done so are not in a position to comment from personal experience.

I am happy that the Linx has worked for those who have had it - but please stop giving negative comments about alternatives. Everyone has to make their own mind up. I am just saying that NF is not as bad as is being made out. My Gastro surgeon left me to make my own mind up.

As Donclaudio says - there is no long term information on Linx whereas NF has been done for over 50 years.

NF can actually be reversed (although it is complicated and not usually done)

• Posted

I'm pleased your happy with the nf but having researched it intensely the negative reports far outweigh the positive ones and believe me I have spoken to at least 20. Ot Is NOT reversible though they will attempt to do a reversal only if life threatening 

This is only my opinion but it's one I spent a year researching 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.